This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The semester has just started, which makes it important for us to go into our “focus-mode” and hit the books! Over the past few semesters, I have been experimenting with different studying techniques that I’d read or heard about and here are some that proved to be effective and got me the grades I wanted.

The Pomodoro Technique

This method can be mainly used to boost your productivity by managing your time. How does it work? Simple. Break down your work or the task at hand into 25 minute intervals. Time yourself. After each 25 minute set, take a 5 minute break. These breaks are referred to as pomodoros. After about 4-5 pomodoros, allow yourself to take a longer 15-20 minute break. This method works best for writing papers since it gives you time to focus and relax. 

The Feynman Technique

This one is my favorite! Developed by Nobel Prize Winning Physicist Richard Feynman, this technique is an organization-based learning method. Just take an empty notebook or a piece of paper, and write down everything you know about the topic you want to learn about as if you’re explaining it to a 5-year old. Then, go back to your notes or the textbook and fill in the gaps with the information you forgot. Review those notes and come up with analogies to help you retain the information you forgot. Make it into a story and master the concept. 

Active Recall

This one involves reading the material, then closing the book and reciting everything you remember about the text. Repeat this until you can remember everything required. This practice enhances your long-term memorization and can be especially useful for exams. 

Becoming the Teacher

You learn a concept better when done with the intention of teaching it to someone. Think about it: teachers are not only responsible for learning the information themselves but for breaking it down to explain it to others. This enhances your recall and can be especially useful for open ended exams. 

Sameen is currently a Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a junior majoring in Biopsychology and is on a pre-med track. When not studying, she can be found curled up with a good book or trying her hand at a new hobby (e.g. playing the guitar, coding, learning a new language).