Spring into Shape: Workout Tips from a P.E.C Trainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Spring is rapidly approaching, and with it comes the promise of warmer weather and a warmer wardrobe! What better time to hit the gym and get in shape so you can look and feel fabulous for spring? Whether you’re new to the workout scene or a seasoned pro who needs a revamped routine, certified personal trainer and TCNJ junior Katie Occhipinti offers some tips to help you get the most out of your workout!

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to start working out but never has before?
A: Start slow! Don’t go crazy on the first workout. Seek out help if it’s available to you—take advantages of any resources you may have. Try starting to workout with a friend—it will help you get motivated and have more fun.

Q: What advice would you give to someone who has experience working out but wants to revamp her routine?
A: Change up your workout in any possible way. Your body adapts quickly when you do the same workout each time, so change up an aspect of the workout. Change the order of your exercises or change the type of exercise you do. If you normally do cardio, rotate in some weight training. Rotate your exercises each time you workout if possible. Also, try working out with someone new. This could help push you to another level with your workout.

Q: What are some ideas for a workout if there are no available machines?

A: Jump rope is a great alternative to the traditional cardio machines. The PEC just got a bunch of new jump ropes available for student use. Also, you can do body weight exercises like lunges or squats. Also, try going outside! We have a beautiful campus, and exercising does not have to take place in the gym.

Q: How should you alter your routine if you only have time for a quick workout?
A: Increase the intensity. If you don’t have a lot of time, make sure you’re putting all your effort into the workout. Take less rest time between exercises, increase the weight, and try to incorporate cardio into the routine by alternating between cardio and weights. For example, do a minute of a cardio exercise like jump rope then do a minute of a weights exercise like bicep curls, then repeat.

Q: What is your advice for getting the most of the PEC and other resources on campus?
A: If you’re looking for help, we have free personal training at the PEC. Male and female certified trainers are available for three free, 1-hour sessions to help you create a personal workout routine or revamp your current routine. The PEC is going to be renovated this coming summer, and we have already gotten some new equipment. Outside of the PEC, TCNJ offers open swim weekly in Packer Hall. Also, there are a number of club sports as well.

Q: What’s your number one piece of advice for students?
A: Remember that the quality of your workout is more important than the quantity. Don’t be stressed if you can’t make it to the gym everyday, but be sure to use your time to the fullest when you do get there. If you’re going to be in the gym, be in the gym! During the times of the semester when stress is at it’s highest (finals, midterms, etc) don’t lose focus. Working out will help curb your stress and keep your energy up.

The open swim schedule is available here
The PEC schedule is available here