Style > Fashion

Social Media Has Yet Again Tricked Me Into Buying Fashion Microtrends…Here’s How to Leave the Cycle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Every other month, a new fashion trend takes social media feeds by storm. Every influencer I follow is seen wearing this item for days, weeks, and even months, finally convincing me to make the purchase. After lots of contemplation, Pinterest searches, and looking at different online stores for the perfect fit, I think to myself, “This is such a good purchase. I’m going to wear this all the time!” Then suddenly…the trend goes out of style. People are calling it basic. They’ve already moved onto the next big thing. And I’m left with this outdated clothing item that will end up in the back of my closet or at the nearest Goodwill.

I have fallen into the same web countless times. In my closet alone, I have chunky white Filas, fuzzy jackets, sweater vests, and an absurd amount of graphic tees that I only wear to bed. And obviously, I can still wear whatever I want no matter how out of style it seems on the Internet, but I am far less likely to wear these items that have been sent to untrendy jail. Here’s how to stop feeding into microtrends and how to build a wardrobe of clothes that you love.

Before buying items, look at what you have in your closet currently and see if you can build multiple outfits with the one piece of clothing. Something too standout will be hard to work into your wardrobe and is more likely to be a one-and-done deal. Indulging in a statement piece every now and then is perfectly normal, but when your entire wardrobe is funky patterns and bright colors that can only be worn one way, it is simply not practical. Investing in good quality staples will always pay off, as a classic look never goes out of style.

Stop shopping just to shop. Keeping up with every single microtrend that makes itself known on social media only feeds into instant gratification and these items will only end up being thrown out. Instead of sitting in this cycle, look at what you already own and see if there’s a way to wear it differently, a statement to spice it up, or something that you’re missing. Oftentimes, you can achieve a similar look based off of items you already own.

Look into your collection and find out what you really like, not what other people are telling you to like. Social media does a great job of manipulating you into thinking that the trendiest clothing items are the best items out there. Just because it is popular does not mean it’s you. Fashion and style are meant to be about personal expression and what makes you feel good, even if it may be unconventional and unique. So don’t feel pressured to cave into every popular trend.

It is a constant battle to decipher whether or not I like a trend or if I’m being tricked into liking a trend. More often than not, you’re better off saving your money. Fast fashion and microtrends have ambushed social media feeds for awhile now, so it is better to focus on creating a timeless, sustainable wardrobe.

Kyra is a junior at TCNJ with a major in Communication Studies (Public & Mass specialty) and a minor in Marketing. She is a member of Delta Phi Epsilon and enjoys fashion, beauty, and entertainment.