So You’re Looking to Get Your First Tattoo?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

You’ve debated back and forth for months whether you should get a tattoo. You have the perfect design picked out because you questioned each little detail until it was exactly what you wanted. You made your best friend go through the pros and cons list of the decision. At long last, your appointment is made and you’re gearing up for your first tattoo! But, like any first timer, you’re super nervous about what will happen at the tattoo parlor. Lucky for you, we’ve been through it before and can share some tips so you can (hopefully) relax before the big day!

Stop Googling if it will hurt or not.

Let’s face it- you’re going to feel some degree of pain no matter where you’re getting your tattoo. But everyone’s pain tolerance is different, and everyone has a different experience when they get a tattoo. There’s no sense psyching yourself out by reading horror stories of when someone got a tattoo in the same spot you did. Just remember- a moment of pain is worth a lifetime of pleasure. And Google never did reassure anyone about things like this.

Get a good night’s sleep the night before and don’t forget to eat.

Just take care of yourself! With so much excitement and anxiety that comes with a tattoo appointment, take every measure to avoid potentially fainting or getting sick. Bring water to the appointment, but care for yourself prior to avoid any possible hiccups that could force you to reschedule or not finish your appointment.

Trust your tattoo artist…

If you did your research prior to booking your appointment, you most likely know that your tattoo artist is reputable and trustworthy. Chances are they have tattooed hundreds of people and have been tattooing for years- they know what they are doing.

… but don’t be afraid to ask questions.

This is a new and confusing experience- no one is expecting you to be an expert! If you have a question before, during, or after the procedure, don’t be scared to ask. It’s your body, you have a right to know what is going on with it. Most tattoo artists will talk you through the process while he sets up and is actually tattooing you, but if you think he missed something, speak up!

Bring a friend!

If you’re too nervous to go alone, have your BFF or significant other go with you. Ask them if you can hold their hand when the tattoo artist starts or just have them go with you for moral support. They’ll get the first look of the finished product before anyone else and they’ll be the designated picture taker so you can post the perfect product of your finished ink!

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.