Shows and Movies That Made me Fall in Love with Mockumentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A mockumentary is a comedy filmed in the style of a documentary, yet it is often based on a fictional subject. Typically, mockumentaries tackle their subjects in a satirical light. Over the years, this form of cinema has become quite popular and is loved by many. For anyone who enjoys watching documentaries and appreciates a darker sense of humor, mockumentaries are a perfect blend and perfect for you. As a fan, I have come across several TV shows and movies in the mockumentary format and the following have made me love the genre: 

1. The Office

This show is downright amazing. With an amazing cast, quirky characters and hilarious dialogues, The Office is a must watch. Each character resonates with you in some way and you keep coming back from them. 

IMG Source

2. Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation is one of the most binge-worthy shows in my opinion. Sharp humor, great writing, interesting plotlines, and some of the best TV characters make this one of the best comedies of modern times. Satirizing government events and the system, this mockumentary makes you look at government in a different light

IMG Source

P.S. Leslie Knope is an amazing feminist icon!

3. What We Do in the Shadows

Both the movie and TV show are a must watch! The title takes a look into the daily lives of Vampires and provides a fresh outlook into the subjects of vampires, often presented in dark and serious tones. 

IMG Source

4. American Vandal 

This Netflix Series is one of the finest combinations of a dramedy and mockumentary in one place. The two seasons follow the aftermath of various high school pranks as two documentarian students try to investigate and search for the culprit of the pranks. 

IMG Source

5. Tour de Pharmacy

This sports mockumentary chronicles the events of the 1982 Tour de France race, in which, according to the movie, every participant tested positive for drug use. The film focused on the five non-disqualified contestants as they try to win the race. 

IMG Source

6. This is Spinal Tap

This mockumentary follows the journey of a British rock band called “Spinal Tap” as they start to sink to the bottom of the charts. The brilliant satirical outlook on music industry makes this one of the most intelligent and hilarious mockumentaries of all time.

IMG Source

7. Drop Dead Gorgeous

The mockumentary documents a teen beauty pageant in a fictional town. The movie satirizes the beauty pageant culture and makes one see beyond the external perfectness of these competitions. This movie is hilarious and absurd in so many ways, which makes it quite a watch. 

IMG Source

If you think that mockumentaries might suit your taste, be sure to check these out!

Sameen is currently a Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a junior majoring in Biopsychology and is on a pre-med track. When not studying, she can be found curled up with a good book or trying her hand at a new hobby (e.g. playing the guitar, coding, learning a new language).
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!