Reproductive Writes: How to Have a Healthy and Happy Vagina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We all know what it takes to have a healthy body: Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise. However, what we aren’t taught as frequently is how to keep our down theres healthy. College is fraught with opportunities for a sad vagina: maybe that chemistry exam tomorrow trumps the need to shower, or maybe a bag of Sour Patch Kids is a better study snack than a cup of yogurt. These quick tips, however, should put you on your way to having a happy and healthy vagina.

Stay clean, but not too clean
Wash your vagina daily to prevent the buildup of sweat, oils, or discharge. Use only warm water, gentle, unscented soap, and/or a clean washcloth to clean the outer parts of your vagina, then pat dry with a clean towel. Scented soaps can irritate the vagina and change the pH balance, resulting in odors or infections. Do not douche – ever! Douching is one of the worst things you can do to your vagina. The vagina self-cleans, so it does a good job on its own of regulating itself. Douching actually makes the vagina too clean. It takes away the bad and the good bacteria, allowing the bad bacteria to rapidly build back up.

Protect yourself
Hopefully this one is a no-brainer. To prevent against STIs, use condoms during intercourse, dental dams during oral sex, and rubber gloves during manual stimulation. Even though it’s not perfect and does not protect against STIs, if you must go gloveless during manual stimulation, make sure his or her hands are washed with soap and hot water.

Eat the right kinds of foods
Besides drinking lots of water, there are two major food items that are known to contribute to a healthy vagina: yogurt and cranberry juice.

• Your vagina is a delicate place, filled with bacteria. Don’t worry, though; it’s mostly good bacteria, which
    keeps the bad bacteria in check. The problem occurs when the bad bacteria takes over your vagina, resulting in an infection called bacterial vaginosis, or BV. It’s not totally clear why BV occurs, but it seems to be more common in sexually active women. However, there’s an easy prevention! To prevent overgrowth of bad bacteria, just grab a cup of yogurt every day. Yogurt contains a bacteria called acidophilus, which helps to keep the bad bacteria levels in your vagina in check. It also helps to keep the balance between bacteria and yeast in check.
  • Cranberry juice is also useful in combating bacteria, but it works inside the bladder and urinary tract. UTIs, or urinary tract infections, occur when bacteria enters the urinary tract and bladder. Anyone who has had a UTI knows how incredibly painful and annoying they are. Cranberry juice works to prevent the bad bacteria from building up.

Use the restroom
If you have to go, go. Holding it in can actually lead to a urinary tract infection. You should also urinate immediately after having sex. This helps to push out any bacteria that may have been pushed in to the urinary tract, which could lead to a UTI. And when you wipe, wipe front to back – this also makes sure bacteria doesn’t get into the urinary tract.

Let her breathe

While those skintight panties may be really hot for your partner, they’re not so hot for your vagina. Loose-fitting cotton underwear is best, as the material allows air to pass through. Ideally, one should wear cotton underwear during the day and go commando at night, but if you live with a roommate, that might not work out so well. Loose shorts or pajama pants might be a good alternative at night. During the day, choose your outfit carefully, as tight-fitting pants also prevent airflow. It’s a good idea to either stick to baggier pieces, or limit how long you wear them. (I can’t be the only one who loves putting on my sweats right when I get home from class!) Finally, avoid hanging out in your wet bathing suit or other damp clothes for too long. The moisture can allow bacteria and yeast to build up.

You smell fine, I promise
With almost as much passion as I said to avoid douching, please avoid using any sort of scented sprays or deodorants. These are just as damaging and irritating, as they are designed to leave a residue on the vagina. They change the pH balance of your vagina, possibly leading to infection. As one of my favorite lines from The Vagina Monologues goes, “I want to taste the fish. That’s why I ordered it!” Although, don’t worry, your vagina doesn’t smell like fish.

Change your pads or tampons regularly
Most of us probably heard the horror stories about how leaving tampons in too long can result in toxic shock syndrome (TSS). Hopefully TSS is reason enough to change your tampons often, ideally every six hours or less. Leaving the tampon in too long, however, can also result in irritation and build up. Use the smallest size and lowest absorbency tampon you can. If you use pads, it’s also a good idea to change frequently, as pads can result in skin irritation around the vagina, similar to diaper rash! Finally, when choosing which pad or tampon to go with, make sure it’s unscented.

Visit your gynecologist regularly

Paying a visit to your gynecologist can help make sure that your steps towards a healthier vagina are working. Gynecologists can check for infections and STIs, make sure your reproductive system is healthy, and provide breast exams. Doctors recommend getting your first exam three years after you become sexually active, or when you turn 21. If you think it’s time to get an exam, we have a Planned Parenthood on campus that offers them. You can schedule your appointment online or call 609-771-2110. For more information on gynecological exams, check out this helpful article: HEAL: Care for Down There.