Reproductive Writes: Condoms For Every Collegiette™!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Okay. Let’s play a little word association game. What’s the first thing you think of when I say… condoms? Latex. Plain. Boring. And, some would say, uncomfortable or unpleasurable. You know what I say? Wrong!

Condoms are awesome. I’m not talking about your run of the mill plain ones—do you realize how many different types there are? And plenty of them are made specifically to increase your and your partner’s pleasure. We all know that condoms are the only form of contraception that prevents against sexually transmitted diseases as well as pregnancy. When used correctly and consistently (that means following all the directions and using condoms every time you have sex), they are over 98% effective. That means that condoms fail, or don’t work because of something other than human error, less than 2% of the time.

So condom usage is a really, really good idea. But we all know that everyone says they break too easily, or they don’t feel good. As for the first myth, Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood, an organization I am involved with here on campus that campaigns for sexual health and reproductive rights, did an informal study of a variety of condoms and how easily they break. We managed to stretch a regular condom down a broomstick about 40 inches. The average breaking point was between 20 and 30 inches. So think about that next time you’re worried about breakage.

As for the second myth, everyone has their own idea of pleasure. Luckily, not all condoms are the same. I hereby would like to give a short review of the multitude of product options that three major brands of condoms offer: Trojan®, Durex®, and LifeStyles®. These brands are all easily available at drugstores near you.

Here’s some helpful pointers
As always, make sure you keep your condoms in a cool, dry place. Keeping them in your wallet that you keep in your back pocket isn’t a good idea – your body heat can warm the condom up and make it more likely to break over time. Same thing goes for the glove compartment in your car, or anywhere that gets direct sunlight.

And remember, lube is your friend – not only does it make things feel even better, it makes the condom even less likely to break due to friction. (Make sure you use a water-based lube, though – oil-based lubricants like Vaseline or baby oil or, since I’ve heard everything, even butter can cause latex to break down.)

In addition, this article focuses on male condoms. Female condoms are another option for those who, for whatever reason, do not like male condoms. The brand name of female condoms in the United States is FC2 and more information about them can be found on Planned Parenthood’s Website or at the FC2 Website.

Plain Old Condom:
Trojan-ENZ® Lubricated Condoms
These are your good old standard condoms. Made of latex, lightly lubricated, reservoir tip. When you just want your basic condom amenities, this is your go-to product.

Thin and Ultrathin:
Trojan® Thintensity® Lubricated Condoms
Durex® Extra Sensitive Condoms
LifeStyles® THYN™ Condoms

These condoms are all about 20% thinner than regular condoms. They heighten sensitivity and increase sensation and are meant to feel more “natural.” If you or your partner has a problem with “not being able to feel,” give these a try!

Ribbed and Studded:
Trojan® Intense Ribbed® Lubricated Condoms
Durex® Pleasuremax Condoms
LifeStyles® Thryll™ Condoms
LifeStyles® Wyld™ Condoms
LifeStyles® Pleasure Ribbed Condoms
LifeStyles® Studded Condoms

Ribbed and studded condoms have different textures built into the latex. Ribbed condoms feature raised lines – ribs – along the length of the condom, while studded condoms feature raised bumps. These features are meant to provide an extra boost of stimulation as they rub against all the right places.

For Her:
Trojan® Her Pleasure™ Lubricated Condoms
Durex® Her Sensation Condoms

Condoms that are marketed to increase the pleasure of the female partner are specially shaped to increase stimulation to the most sensitive areas of the female anatomy. These condoms feature a ribbed texture and a wider shape to heighten sensation for the ladies. Who doesn’t want to be cared about like that?

Twists and Turns:

Trojan® Twisted Pleasure® Lubricated Condoms
Durex® Pleasure Curve Condoms

These condoms feature a unique twist or curve towards the tip of the condom. The actual latex is formed with a slight spiral, which creates contours and raised areas that enhance stimulation. It might sound a little confusing until you actually see it. Think of it like a helping of soft-serve ice cream, with a gentle twist at the top of the cone. The ripples and folds supposedly add a feeling of natural friction.

Fun Shapes:
Trojan® Ecstacy™ Lubricated Condoms
LifeStyles® Pleasure Shaped Condoms

No, these condoms aren’t shaped like balloon animals or anything. Instead, these condoms feature a larger area around the tip of the penis, while still retaining tightness at the base to keep everything in. This roomier fit allows for a more “natural” feel and more freedom of movement. If your partner complains about condoms feeling too tight, but they aren’t quite ready for a Magnum or a Kyng, you might want to try these out. The Trojan Ecstasy brand also comes in Fire & Ice, Ultra Ribbed, Her Pleasure, and Magnum versions.

Fun Sensations:
Trojan® Fire & Ice® Lubricated Condoms

Trojan® Shared Pleasure® Warm Sensations™ Lubricated Condoms
Trojan Extended Pleasure® Condoms with Climax Control Lubricant
Durex® Performax Condoms

These condoms all offer special lubricants that have different sensations. Trojan Fire & Ice condoms alternate between a warming sensation and a cooling, tingling one. Trojan Shared Pleasure’s warming lubricant is activated by friction and body heat and offers a gentle, warm (but not hot!) feeling. Trojan Extended Pleasure and Durex Performax condoms have a lubricant that contains an agent that slightly numbs the penis, which enables an extended sexual encounter without ejaculation. The lubricant isn’t totally numbing, however, so both partners can still enjoy.

Fun Flavors:
Durex® Tropical Condoms
LifeStyles® Flavors/Colors Condoms

Remember, condoms aren’t only for penetrative sex! It’s always a good idea to use condoms during oral sex, too. But a lot of people might dislike the taste of latex. Luckily, flavored condoms provide a pleasant alternative, so you can still be safe. Durex Tropical condoms come in banana, strawberry, and orange flavors, while LifeStyles Flavored condoms come in vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, banana, and blueberry.

Extra Large:
Magnum® Lubricated Condoms
LifeStyles® Kyng™ Gold

While condoms are able to stretch great lengths and widths, for some, having a larger fit is more comfortable. These condoms are able to offer a larger size while still providing protection. The Magnum line also comes in a variety of sensations and textures, including Fire & Ice, Warm Sensations, and Twisted.

Nonlatex:
Trojan Supra® Lubricated Condoms,
LifeStyles® Skyn® Premium Polyisoprene Condoms

Many people are allergic to latex, the primary material that most condoms are made out of. For these people, condoms are made out of other, non-latex materials. Trojan Supra condoms are made out of polyurethane, which has the unique property of transferring heat. It’s like these condoms automatically come with warming lubricant, because the polyurethane warms up from friction caused by sex. LifeStyles Skyn condoms are made out of polyisoprene, which has a softer feel than a regular latex condom.

Spermicidal:
Trojan-ENZ® Spermicidal Lubricant Condoms
LifeStyles® Ultra Lubricated with Spermicide Condoms

Spermicidal condoms are coated with a special lubricant that includes the spermicide Nonoxynol-9. Spermicide adds an extra layer of protection against pregnancy by stopping any sperm that comes in contact with the chemical to stop moving. However, spermicides have some downsides. Some people have allergies to Nonoxynol-9, and others find it irritating. Using spermicides too frequently—several times a day—could cause tissue irritation. Nonoxynol-9 has also been linked to increased rates of some Sexually Transmitted Infections. So, if you are interested in spermicidal condoms, approach with caution. If you strongly want added pregnancy protection, you might want to check out other forms of contraception which can be used in conjunction with condoms.

For more information on condoms, check out Planned Parenhood’s information website. In addition, if you’d like condoms for cheap, visit the Planned Parenthood in Health Services, Eickhoff Hall Room 107. Planned Parenthood uses condoms by Proper Attire®, which come in regular, extra large, colored (but not flavored), and studded.

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.