This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In 2019 world renowned singer, actress and mental health advocate Selena Gomez founded her beauty brand titled Rare Beauty, she later launched the brand in September of 2020. In 2021,Rare Beauty was awarded Best New Brand by the Allure Best of Beauty Awards. 

With a variety of makeup products like, foundation, blush, highlight, lip oil, bronzer and more Gomez created a brand with quality products at affordable prices compared to other brands. Her prices range from $16 for the Dewy Lip Balm to $30 for the Weightless Foundation and Tinted Moisturizer. At the end of 2022 Rare Beauty made an announcement that as of Jan 1, 2023 they would be slightly increasing prices due to inflation but they aim to keep all their products $30 and under for their consumers. 

When Rare Beauty first launched Gomez also launched the Rare Impact Fund which is part of the brand’s commitment to mental health. On Rare Beauty’s website they say “The Rare Impact Fund is part of Rare Beauty’s commitment to give people access to the resources they need to support their mental health. Rare Beauty donates 1% of all sales to the Rare Impact Fund and raises additional funds with philanthropic foundations, corporate partners, and individuals in our community to increase access to mental health services in educational settings.” 

In the past Gomez has been a huge advocate for mental health so it was clearly important to her to give back to the mental health community for a better wellbeing.  

Gomez also keeps her consumers wanting to buy more from the brand by launching new products frequently and keeping it fresh. For example, she most recently launched lip oils in March 2023 and also launched highlighter and under eye brightener in December 2022. Gomez does a great job of creating product launches that are exciting for her consumers and keep them wanting to know more about the product and test it out for themselves. Along with creating affordable products Gomez also strives to create products that are vegan and cruelty-free. Her products also get rave reviews on Sephora’s website with her best selling product being the Soft Pinch Liquid Blush ($23) with 13 color choices and over 3K reviews giving this product five stars. More best sellers include the Warm Wishes Effortless Bronzer Stick ($26) and the Always an Optimist Soft Radiance Setting Powder ($25)

Although this is a makeup brand Gomez states in her founder’s quote “​I think Rare Beauty can be more than a beauty brand—it can make an impact. I want us all to stop comparing ourselves to each other and just start embracing our own uniqueness. Being rare is about being comfortable with yourself. I’ve stopped trying to be perfect. I just want to be me.”

Samantha Schepelenko is a student at The College of New Jersey. She is a senior Journalism and Professional Writing major with a Comm minor. She hopes to write for the beauty and fashion industry one day :)