halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

Personalized 31 Nights Of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

What’s your favorite scary movie? 

When it comes to choosing movies to watch for Halloween, you can be very versatile. The films don’t necessarily have to speak of Halloween, it can just be a horror film; OR the films don’t necessarily have to be a horror film, it can just contain things that deal with Halloween. They don’t all have to be serious and traumatizing, they can also be cute and nostalgic.

Even though we are already a couple of days into spooky season, that doesn’t mean we still can’t plan our movie marathon to enjoy when the big day gets here. The TV Network Freeform has an annual special called 31 Nights Of Halloween. It is something that I look forward to every year; however, the movies they include in their lineup are very repetitive. Even though it’s completely obvious, one year I just had the idea to create a lineup of my own. In the spirit of this glorious holiday, here are some films you should consider adding to your own personalized 31 Nights of Halloween movie list. 

Halloween

This one should come as no surprise to anyone which is why this is the first one on the list! A night with Michael Myers and Laurie Strode will have you getting into the Halloween spirit in no time! The entire Halloween series follows serial killer Michael Myers who wants to murder all of his remaining family relatives and anyone else who crosses his path. This film franchise is the perfect combination of gore and suspense. Also, the new addition to the franchise, Halloween Ends, will be released in theaters on October 13th! 

Hocus Pocus Series

The best thing about Halloween is it’s all just a bunch of Hocus Pocus! The 1993 film follows the Sanderson sisters who are witches that feed on the life of children to keep their youth. One evening they are executed, but one of the sisters, Winnie, casts a spell that states on the night of Halloween if a virgin lights the black flame candle then they will be back and the town’s children will be doomed. Unfortunately an idiot named Max did just that and now he, his sister Dani, and his friend Allison have to figure out a way to not be captured by the sisters come sunrise. The fun doesn’t have to end there though; Disney has just released Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney Plus! Now we get to see the Sanderson sisters come back in 2022 and navigate through the modern world while trying to find their next victims before it’s too late. 

The Addams Family Values 

I understand this is the second film in the Addams Family franchise, but The Addams Family Values combines just the right amount of humor and family friendly horror. This film follows the Addams family trying to rescue Uncle Fester from his gold digging love interest named Debbie, who turns out to be a serial killer. The reason why I have a little bit more love for this film than the first one is because we get to see more of Wednesday’s and Pugsley’s antics. While the suspense of Uncle Fester’s life with Debbie is intriguing, majority of the humor comes from Wednesday and Pugsley not being fond of their new little brother and wreaking havoc when they’re sent off to summer camp. 

Scream Series

There’s no way we can talk about slasher films and the Scream series not be included. The first Scream (1996) follows Sidney Prescott and her group of friends who are being targeted by a mysterious killer in a Halloween costume. Even though it’s not necessarily a gorey horror film, and it doesn’t take place on Halloween, the entire franchise still leaves quite an impression on its audience. Despite each film having similar plots, the further you get within the franchise, the more the plot thickens and the story behind the murders build up. 

Halloweentown Series

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a town full of monsters, ghouls, goblins, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and witches? Me too! The entire Halloweentown series had me freaked out and fascinated at the same time when I was a child. This series follows a young woman, Marnie Piper, who comes from a family of witches. Together they face many challenges and battle evil people to save their beloved Halloweentown.

Personal Opinion: Halloweentown 2 and Return To Halloweentown are the best in the series!

Twitches Series

Twin witch princesses, battling an evil force that’s trying to destroy their kingdom…sign me up! Tia and Tamera Mowry play Alex and Cameryn, long lost twin sisters who discover they are witches and they have to use their newly discovered magic powers to save themselves and their kingdom from a dark force. These films are so significant to my life because of the African American representation. Twitches was one of the first few films the children in the black community, specifically young black girls, had that revolved around the love, fun, and joy of being a witch. 

The Haunted Mansion

Yes, I am getting into my Disney bag a little bit but I can’t help it! They create the funniest, goofiest, and comforting Halloween films. The Haunted Mansion not only includes ghosts, crystal balls, and fortune tellers, but it also includes curses and mysteries. It’s filled with the perfect amount of twists, suspicion, and tension. Add in a dash of comedy and you have the perfect nostalgic Halloween movie!

Coraline

Did we all have a traumatizing childhood because of this film? I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again…Coraline should not have been a movie for children! My 9 year old brain couldn’t process anything that was going on, all I knew was that I vowed to never watch that movie ever again due to my heart stopping a couple of times while watching it. After I aged a lot more, I finally rewatched it due to curiosity and it’s honestly that perfect Halloween movie when you don’t necessarily want to be scared, but you wanted to be amazed and creeped out at the same time. This film follows a young girl, Coraline, who one day finds a door in her new house that leads to another dimension. At first everything seems better than reality, but later on throughout the film Coraline realizes she’s misjudged the other dimension and is now in trouble

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Every halloween movie watch list needs a disturbing film on it, and what’s more disturbing than revenge murdering judges and baking them into meat pies? This film follows London barber Sweeney Todd, played by Johnny Depp, who gets put in jail in Australia for a crime he did not commit, by a judge who lusts for the barber’s wife. After he serves his sentence, Sweeney Todd returns to London to wreak havoc on those who have robbed him of his happy life. 

Jennifer’s Body

This film needs absolutely no introduction and no explanation, all you need to know is it’s Megan Fox (Jennifer) feeding on the flesh of boys to stay strong after being possessed by a demon….ICONIC. Jennifer’s best friend Needy, played by Amanda Seyfried, finds out what has happened to her best friend and plans to put an end to this massacre. This film is sort of a slow burner, but it’s definitely never boring!

Jasmine is a Senior at The College of New Jersey, majoring in Woman, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and minoring in Social Justice. Her passion for writing began in elementary school when discovering Literacy/English was her favorite subject. As an aspiring African American Literature professor and Journalist, she loves to create writing pieces that shows the versatility of being a Black woman.