halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

(Non) Basic Halloween Costumes 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Quick Disclaimer: There is NOTHING WRONG with a basic costume for Halloween. This is just a list I’ve decided to create for those who want to spice up their Halloween costumes this year:)

Happy October Everyone! Halloween is only a few weeks away which means it’s time to start planning costumes! Deciding what to dress up as can be hard and if you’re anything like me the first place you go for inspiration is Pinterest and Instagram. Unfortunately, a lot of the inspiration seen on Pinterest and Instagram has been overused time and time again and has become basic and boring. This year I’ve decided to come up with a list of some non-basic Halloween costumes.

SOLO

Going solo for a Halloween costume can be so fun, but a lot of the time people will go for the simple options, like a cat or a pirate (I fell victim to the pirate costume epidemic last Halloween). There is nothing wrong with simple but spicing up a solo costume can make you enjoy Halloween so much more.

• Princess Mia (Princess Diaries)
  • Queen of Hearts 
  • Siren 
  • Strawberry Shortcake
  • Hannah Montana
  • Katherine Pierce (Vampire Diaries)
  • The Love Witch
  • Daisy Jones 
  • Corpse Bride
  • Maxine (X)

DUO’S

Duo costumes are always so cool to see. Whether you are going for a funny, sexy, or a cute vibe, this can be a great idea to do with a friend. 

• Buzz lightyear and Woody
  • Thing 1 and Thing 2
  • Glinda and Elphaba (Wicked)
  • The Grady Twins (Shining)
  • Princess Peach and Daisy
  • Lightning McQueen and Mater (Cars)

COUPLE’S 

Doing a couples costume with your significant other can add a little more excitement and spice to your Halloween. You can pick something meaningful to you and your significant other like characters from a favorite movie or something you both find funny.

Disclaimer…again: These costumes can also be done as a friends costume as well they are not exclusive to a significant other! 

• 60’s fembot and Austin Powers 
  • Ratatouille and a chef
  • Elvis and Persilla 
  • Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake’s Denim look 
  • Mr and Mrs Smith
  • Gomez and Mortia Addams (Addams Family)
  • Jodi and Pink (Dazed and Confused)
  • Ricky and Carley Bobby (Talladega nights)
  • Princess Leia and Han Solo (Star Wars)

GROUP/TRIO

A Halloween costume with a group of friends is something you will remember forever. It is something that, if executed properly, can get you so much more in the spirit of Halloween! 

• Alice, Queen of hearts, Mad hatter, Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit (Alice in wonderland)
  • The Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus)
  • Care Bears 
  • Scary movie villains (Scream, Chucky, Freddy Krueger, etc)
  • Fanta Girls 
  • Strawberry Shortcake and Friends 

I hope everyone has an amazing Halloween and has such a fun time figuring out and putting together costumes!

Angelina is a Sophomore Psychology major at The College of New Jersey. Her hobbies include watching movies, listening to music, and researching future fashion predictions. She is currently HCTCNJ's Social Media and PR chair!