The New and Improved Starbucks Toffee Mocha!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

So I have a confession to make, and I’m sure all you other off-campus collegiettes can relate. Living off campus has taken away my motivation to go to the Lib. It’s not that I haven’t been studying (hi Mom and Dad!) it’s just that my room is so much more convenient than driving all the way to campus, finding a parking spot, and walking to the Lib while juggling six textbooks in my freezing cold hands.

But even though I love being able to study in my room, I have to admit that I missed sipping on my warm Toffee Mocha from the Lib Café; which is exactly why I found the perfect DIY recipe for this Starbucks drink (that’s less calories and is cheaper, of course!)

Hungry Girl’s “Mocha-Choca-Lotta-Yum-Yum” is the perfect substitute for Starbuck’s Toffee Mocha and according to Hungry Girl’s site, its only 68 calories with 5.75 grams of sugar and 1.25 grams of fat as opposed to Starbuck’s version, which is 270 calories with 41 grams of sugar and 5 grams of fat. And after I did the math, I found that one serving totals to about $1.02 whereas a tall Mocha goes for $2.99.

According to Hungry Girl, all you need is:

A 25-calorie packet of Swiss Miss Diet hot cocoa mix (Stop and Shop is having a sale 2 packages of 8 for just $6.00!)
2 tsp. of Instant coffee granules (Shop Rite has Folgers single servings for $1.19 for a package of 7)
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (Stop and Shop has a price cut on Hershey’s cocoa powder, which is originally $5.98 but now its just 2.99 for 135 servings!)
½ Cup Light Soy Vanilla Milk (Silk goes for just $3.49 gallon, which is $0.21 a serving!)
1 tbsp. sugar-free English toffee-flavored syrup ($5.25 for 26 servings)
Optional Topping: Fat Free Cool Whip

Now all you have to do is combine the hot cocoa mix, instant coffee granules, and cocoa powder with one cup of hot water. Then add the soymilk and syrup. Top it off with some whipped cream and there you go! You just saved $1.97 and 202 calories!