National Have a Bad Day Day- November 19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We’re always told to make the most out of every situation and to put a smile on our face, but sometimes you just need to have a bad day, so let’s celebrate this holiday in style!

We’re allowed to feel frustrated, aggravated, angry, and annoyed. We focus so much energy on trying to be happy that we forget that it’s okay to feel crappy every once in a while. Every day can’t be the greatest day of your life, so when things just aren’t going your way, let it all out.

If we want to have a bad day, we should be allowed to bask in our sadness. Everyone worries so much about faking it until you make it, but sometimes you can’t fake it, and that’s perfectly fine. Sometimes the world feels like it’s crashing down around you and you need a mental health day, and that’s okay.

I think we, as a society, need to stop trying to push away the bad feelings and simply let ourselves fall apart. In order to enjoy anything, we need to understand how to be upset about something. If life is kicking you down, it’s okay to feel a little pitiful for a while, as long as you get back up eventually. The key is to feel every emotion without getting stuck. It’s okay to have a bad day or a few bad days, but it’s important to remember that when life feels absolutely awful, there’s something good going for you. You’re breathing, you’re alive, and you’re human. So cry yourself to sleep, eat three containers of ice cream, punch a punching bag, and let yourself feel. I promise, it’ll make you feel better.

Now, I bet you nobody’s ever told you this before, but I think you should have a bad day.

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.