This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As a Nickelodeon Rags enthusiast, as well as someone who absolutely adored Hell’s Kitchen Angel back in 2016, I knew that MAX would not be disappointing me with his new album – and I was right. Returning to the music scene with his sophomore album Colour Vision, this album represents an appreciation of life and everything that comes with it. After losing his voice and having vocal cord surgery, seeing MAX back to doing something he’s passionate about is a very comforting and joyful thing to see and hear, and it certainly shows in the album. Here are some of my favorite tracks in no particular order!

Colour Vision

“When I fall asleep 

I wake up in a fantasy 

And I’m where supposed to be”

MAX begins the album very strongly with the album titled song. When speaking with Apple Music, MAX explains that he wanted the album to begin strongly, like an intro song in a Broadway musical. It’s a fun way to begin the album and it does truly feel like we are about to hear a story, and it’s been given a strong introduction. Almost like MAX is saying “I’m back!”

Where Am I At

“My heart’s been leaking so much

The love that you gave, it was more than enough

I’m afraid to send you on your way

‘Cause nothing bout me feels the same, feels the same”

This was one of the songs that MAX shared prior to the album dropping and it’s one of my absolute favorites. I remember the first time I listened to this song, I just sat and cried. Finding something that perfectly describes what you feel, when you cannot but the words together yourself is the most comforting thing you can feel, and MAX does that for me and for anyone who’s familiar with grief. 

Blueberry Eyes (featuring SUGA of BTS)

“Cause I’m holding my breath

Wondering when you’re gonna wake up in my arms”

If there’s one thing MAX is going to do, it’s love his wife. From his song “Lights Down Low” back in 2016, which ended up being a wedding song for them, it’s no surprise that he was able to create something as sweet as “Blueberry Eyes.” Aside from the fact that it’s a collaboration with one of my favorite people of all time (Yes, if I have the chance to mention BTS, I will do it.), it’s such a sweet song. MAX mentioned that the Korean part of the song was like vows for his wife and he even demonstrates that in the music video. 

Circles 

“We still have a heartbeat

Don’t give up on me”

This track actually plays before “Blueberry Eyes” and I love how carefully he planned where each song would go. “Circles” is about bumps in relationships and while he is addressing his own relationship, I think it’s nice to give both sides of a love story. Realistically, we all know it’s not always going to be perfect and there will be misunderstandings, and in this song, MAX addresses those misunderstandings but also gives hope that it’s something they can get through. 

New Life

“I ain’t lookin’ back, this a celebration

Lookin’ forward to my new situation”

I honestly love the way this song begins, because I have no idea what to expect from it. When speaking to Apple Music, MAX mentions that this is one of the first songs he wrote after his vocal surgery, and how it was very much about gaining control of your life again. Which is something I feel like I’m doing every other week if I’m being honest, however, this song is refreshing and I will be streaming. 

Most of this album consists of MAX being in love with his wife and also it just feels like a confident album. He’s sure of himself, he’s gone through stuff and he’s back and ready to have a great time. Safely, though. We’re still in a pandemic. 

You can stream Colour Vision on Spotify and Apple Music!

A writer who's always in a crisis and probably eating fries.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.