Meghan Clark: A Leader Through Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Meet Meghan Clark, the bubbly and outgoing President of TCNJ’s a capella group, I-Tunes. She can often be seen hanging out in the Education Building’s cafe, or you may have even watched her this past Friday at A Capella Fest, rocking out as the soloist in I-Tunes’ rendition of Hozier’s “Take Me to Church.” But no matter what she is doing, you can always count on Clark to do it with enthusiasm.    

A transfer student from Morris County College, Clark quickly became involved in the TCNJ student community, joining I-Tunes in the fall semester of her junior year, and she was appointed to serve as President for this school year by her peers.  

Remarking on Clark’s role as President of the group, I-Tunes Secretary and junior Lauren Agho said, “I really admire Meghan’s dedication to I-Tunes. No matter how stressed or busy she gets, we can always count on her to be at every meeting, performance and rehearsal with a smile on her face. I couldn’t image I-Tunes having a better leader and President.”

During Clark’s first year in the group, she recalls their performance at a concert of “Gold” from the Broadway musical, Once as her favorite memory thus far of being in I-Tunes. “There was a moment where – I hadn’t sung in awhile – there was this moment of pure dissonance and it just sounded so beautiful and I had missed that sound so much. It made me so happy and I still remember that.”

When asked why she wanted to become President of I-Tunes, Clark remarked “I’m passionate about being the best we can be, and I wanted a leadership role to make sure that we were going in the right direction.”

But the ever-humble Clark noted that she could not do it alone. “I wouldn’t be close to the President I am without the E-board. Lauren [Agho] is a superb secretary and she takes care of everything. [Junior] Nicole Myers, [the Musical Director] is just talented beyond compare, and [junior] Derek Carper, [the Vice-President] and [junior] Cameron Schiff, [the Treasurer] are so reliable. [Junior] Ally Marcino, our Assistant Musical Director does way more than she needs to and is just so amazing.”

Along with the exciting venues and events where I-Tunes gets to perform, Clark said “[My favorite part about being President of I-Tunes] is being a role model and I hope I do a good job. I also like working with other people and making sure that things get done in the way that they should and solving problems when they come up.”

Clark remarked that she has noticed how being President of the group has impacted her as a person. “I think my role has changed me because it made me more responsible for my actions because [members of I-Tunes] are watching and if you don’t set the example, then people don’t always act how they should during rehearsals. It made me want to better myself for the whole group.”

Along with I-Tunes, Clark is also a member of the Greek sorority, Alpha Xi Delta and has taken on another leadership role as an Ambassador in the TCNJ Ambassadors Program. She has even been nominated for TCNJ Homecoming Queen this year.

“I like that I get to make a difference for people and that I get to make people happy,” Clark said. “So by taking a leadership role, I challenge myself to make someone else’s day.”

As an English Elementary Education Major, Clark has ambitions of becoming a teacher one day, but she hopes to continue to pursue music on the side.

“I would like to be in some kind of adult band or a choir,” she said. “I’m going to pick up a few different instruments and get lessons, hopefully, but mostly, I would like to sing in a small group of passionate artists.”

Until then, Clark is perfectly content relishing her time with her fellow I-Tunes members, preparing for their next performance at Acapallooza on Friday, October 23rd and enjoying her senior year at TCNJ. 

Photo Credit: Ally Marcino