Life > Experiences

Meet Katherine Holt: Psychology Major and People Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The College of New Jersey community is comprised of so many different people with unique interests, personalities, and aspirations. Every day, we come into contact with hundreds of faces, each with their own stories. Some of these people are integral parts of your daily life, but most are just peers you meet in class or hold the elevator for in the library. We are lucky to have the opportunity to make connections everywhere we go on campus. If you’re really lucky, you might one day cross paths with Katherine Holt, a sophomore Psychology major and sister of Kappa Delta sorority who has a whole lot of heart to share with the world.

Nickname: Kat

Favorite color: Yellow – “because it’s happy!”

Favorite place: California

Role Model: “KD is my collective role model. It is full of genuinely kind, driven, fun, independent and amazing women.”

Favorite singer: John Mayer

Homework spot: “I like going to Small World Coffee in Princeton because I like to be off campus and immersed in a real-world setting. I also love coffee!”

Favorite drink: Chai Tea Latte

Favorite quote: “It’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln

Katherine Holt, although at a height of only 4’11”, makes a big impact on everyone she meets. She is full of so much personality and unique charisma that it would be impossible to accurately sum up her whole character in a reasonable amount of text, but here’s to trying!

According to Kat, one of the most impactful aspects of her life has been her experience as an only child. “It has made me very independent and led to a lot of personal troubles like being lonely and not having a lot of family around.” However, she believes that growing up without siblings has made her more outgoing, encouraging her to make lots of friendships and close bonds outside of her home.

Source: Instagram (@katelizabethhh)

Perhaps her comfort and tendency to create connections with others has influenced her career goals. As a psychology major, Kat plans on being either a therapist or a teacher after graduating from TCNJ and plans on pursuing further education. When asked to explain her attraction towards these professions, Kat says, “I want to work with people and I want to help people. I am the person my friends come to for advice so it’s almost like a natural ability for me to be able to talk with people and empathize well. Anytime I go through a personal struggle and I overcome it, I think about how I can take my own experiences and use them to guide other people from going down negative paths or avoiding them.”

In her personal life, Kat spends as much time as she possibly can traveling. She started journeying across international waters when she was just thirteen years old and has since visited a total of 19 countries. Usually one of the first things that comes up when introducing herself to someone new, traveling is probably what Katherine is most passionate about. She thinks that the most exciting thing about traveling to so many places throughout the world is getting to learn about different cultures, saying, “It’s given me such a bigger appreciation for people and a bigger desire to learn about everything. There are so many people and so many places and it’s all so different yet also the same. You can talk to anyone anywhere in the world and find something in common with them.”

Source: Instagram (@katelizabethhh)

Her next trip is set for this summer: a visit to Italy and Portugal, where she has ancestral roots, with a few extra stops in Europe along the way.

If you see Kat around campus, ask her about her travels, her major, or even her notorious chai tea latte reviews on her Instagram page. Kat loves to meet and talk with new people. Better yet, tell her about yourself! Your time at TCNJ will be all the better for connecting with this interesting and impactful collegiette!

Clare is a sophomore at TCNJ majoring in English and Secondary Education.