This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

When you initially think of meditation, you may picture a group of yoga experts on a retreat in Thailand, effortlessly cultivating their utmost peace, and as a beginner, it can be off-putting. As one who was once there, don’t worry, I know exactly how you feel. Maybe you’ve been hearing more about meditation lately, maybe you’ve gotten into yoga and are curious about what meditation has to offer, or maybe you’re just reading this out of pure curiosity, whatever your reason, I’m glad you’re here and I hope that I (a meditation novice) can offer you a few pointers after meditating for about 7 months.

1.Don’t get frustrated if it’s hard to sit still or if your mind wanders.

The human brain is designed to constantly think and process, and it is 100% normal to find yourself thinking more intensely when you’re trying to focus on being zen. Remember to be patient with yourself and understand that the main purpose of meditation isn’t to stay completely still and think no thoughts. The main objective is to be present and grounded, and you shouldfeel comfortable. If thoughts and movements occur, understand that it’s human and it’s okay to do so while meditating!

2. You’re breath is your anchor

If you’re ever struggling to really get into your meditation, try and focus on your breathing. I know this is easier said than done, but paying attention to the pace in which you’re taking your breaths, along with counting the duration of each inhale and exhale can help you naturally get into a more meditative state. A lot of guided meditations will help you out with this and don’t feel discouraged if your breathing is not completely in synch with an instructor. From the moment you begin a meditation until the very end, that’s your own personal time, so go at your own natural pace. Breathing techniques can also be beneficial in everyday life when you really need to focus or just calm down a bit! You also don’t always have to follow everything an instructor is telling you to do, if you’re not feeling an exercise they might ask you to do, you are more than welcome to just sit back and do what feels right.

3. Start with a time duration that you are comfortable with.

A lot of people think that in order to reap the great benefits of meditation, you have to meditate for a substantial chunk of time, and from personal experience, that is far from the truth. Taking just five minutes out of your day to meditate can make a world of difference. As long as you’re willing to commit and be kind to yourself in the process, almost any amount of time will do the trick. No matter what your day looks like, a little moment set aside to meditate can really bring balance to your routine!

4. Where to start?

I originally started meditating on the Headspace app which I found to be a great place to start. I have also used the Calm app and I find it to be useful as it has a wide variety of different types of meditations on it. Both of these apps offer a free trial but eventually will charge you a subscription. There are also tons of free meditations on Youtube to choose from that I love. It’s as simple as searching up ‘meditation’ and possibly the topic that you would like to focus on. I currently use the Peloton app that I use to cycle and they also have tons of different workouts and meditations on there that have probably been my favorites so far.

5. Understand that meditation feels different for everyone.

Meditation can be different for everyone that tries it. Some people don’t like the silence and stillness, others might find it hard to get out of their heads. It’s important to allow yourself to practice completely judgment-free. My top piece of advice would be to stick with it, even if you feel like it isn’t that effective in the beginning.

Meditation also requires your own personal belief and self-love. If you go into the practice in a negative headspace, it most likely will not be beneficial to you. Granting yourself permission to immerse yourself and having a positive attitude is the most important step. Best of luck!

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!