Jake DeWitt: Stepping Up to the Plate for Hurricane Sandy Relief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

He walks up to the plate, the sand crunching beneath his cleats.  Gripping the bat in his hands, he knows that in a moment, he has a chance to take a swing and run.  And in a moment, the course of the entire game can change. 

The moment that Hurricane Sandy struck the tri-state area, people’s lives changed drastically.  The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy left millions without power, thousands with damage, and hundreds without homes.

Varsity baseball player Jake DeWitt recognized the significance of the devastation and was compelled to do something.“We all know someone who has been affected by the storm.”  With the help of his teammates, this sophomore Civil Engineering major created a fundraiser to help with Hurricane Sandy Relief.  “Seeing pictures on the news, hearing about the hardships that [my teammates] were witnessing, and an overwhelming support from my parents, the rest of my teammates, and our coaches lead us the start the fundraiser”, DeWitt says.

In an effort to raise money for relief efforts, members and friends of TCNJ baseball will be selling red “We Are Jersey Strong” wristbands for $5 each.  The goal is to raise $23,800 to donate to the Jersey Coast chapter of the American Red Cross by December 1st.

So far, $3,000 has already been raised.  DeWitt says, “our fundraiser is aimed at making people more aware of the need for volunteers and donations after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.”  “The money will go toward buying food, water, and other essentials for victims”, he says.

Before his philanthropic endeavor, DeWitt loved playing baseball.

“I started playing baseball when I was five or six years old.  I stuck with it through the years because it’s a challenging, competitive team sport, during which anything can happen and any team can beat any team”, he recalls. 

“Whether it’s getting up at 5:30 am for a 6:00 am workout, running from class to a game, or spending time with some of my best friends, every day is a humbling experience that makes me a better and more productive person”, DeWitt says.

“The thing I love most about TCNJ baseball is spending time with my best friends and getting the privilege to play the sport that I love.”

All it takes is an idea and the motivation.  In just a moment, you too can make a change.  “We want to make a difference, even if it’s only relatively small compared to what is actually needed.”

If you wish to donate, you can support the fundraiser by purchasing a wristband in Eikoffduring lunch and dinner times.  You can also contact Jake or any of his teammates by email at jakedewitt@hotmail.com, or on their Facebook event page.  Cash and checks are accepted.  Checks may be made out to American Red Cross Jersey Coast Chapter.  Checks may also be mailed to the TCNJ Baseball office, 2000 Pennington Road, Ewing, NJ 08628-0718.

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.