This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Ins and outs are all the rage this January, so let’s talk about how to positively create an Ins and Outs list to start the year off right. So, what are ins and outs anyway? Ins are something we want to introduce into our lives this year and the outs are things we want to start moving away from. They can be related to anything, such as eating habits, positive mindsets, fashion, etc. A good way to start a list off is to reflect on the previous year and think of what positively impacted your life and what maybe could have been done differently. This will create an organic and personalized list for you, which can be implemented in the new year!

So let’s get into some ideas. Keep in mind that these are just thoughts and can always be changed to fit you!

Ins:    

• Being kind to yourself and others
    • This one seems super basic, but is so important! Being kind to yourself is the first step in moving forward with anything you do. It involves keeping your confidence high and negativity low. Once this is done, it can be passed on to others!
  • Eating in
    • It can be so tempting to order food or go out, but the expenses can really start to pile up! Recipes are becoming super easy to access and can be found quickly on so many platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. It has never been easier to find simple and yummy recipes to make!
  • Taking More Pictures and Videos
    • Something I always seem to regret is not having enough pictures. I always wish I had taken more pictures of the surroundings and environment that I’m in. This way I can remember how fun and exciting life is and enjoy the simpler things such as flowers, sunsets, pretty skies, etc. Videos are also so fun to look back on and recreate a memory.  

Outs

• Overbuying
    • This was something I never really went too crazy with, but I think that everyone can benefit from lessening the amount of things they buy such as clothes, makeup, beauty accessories, etc. I usually have everything I need, but when I see something on TikTok or Instagram, I feel the need to purchase it. However, I probably already have something similar, so what’s the point of spending more money? 
  • Excessive Use of Social Media
    • This is something so easy to fall into the trap of, but it’s important to limit the amount of time on social media. It can lead to many negative outcomes such as comparison, wasted time, and impulsive purchases. Not to say that social media doesn’t have benefits, but it should be used in moderation.
  • Procrastination
    • Many times I find myself pushing off tasks till the last minute. This always does more harm than good, because I find myself getting stressed when I know I have an assignment or task I have to do. Instead, I can save myself the stress of knowing I have something to do by just getting it done. This will lead to a more relaxed day and less cramming in what needs to be done.
Abby is a sophomore Secondary Math Education major at TCNJ and can't wait to start writing for Her Campus. She has a lot of interest about topics that she's excited to share in articles. Some of these interests include fashion, healthy food, room decor, books, makeup, baking, and more!