Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Beauty Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As the coronavirus grows it continues to affect many businesses and industries from operating as usual. For the beauty industry, with social distancing in place, those who provide services such as makeovers and waxing are unable to do their trade.

For makeup artists, they are unable to meet with clients for appointments. Many makeup artists rely on these appointments to build their portfolios and to help pay their bills. Since they cannot even touch their clients and events are being canceled, they are missing out on potentially large commissions and opportunities. 

Jocelyn Atzel Quintanilla B., on Instagram known as @b.q.a.j, is a makeup artist and influencer with 121,000 followers. She posts photos and tutorials daily while interacting with her supporters. With her skill, she has landed many jobs with clients doing makeup looks. 

During the coronavirus emergency, makeup artists like Quintanilla are unable to meet with their clients. “I had a quinceañera and a birthday party I was doing makeup for but both got cancelled,” she said. “It sucks not only for me doing what I love but for their entire even having to be postponed.”

With the virus preventing makeup artists from having contact with their clients, many have resulted in posting more tutorials and online content. Some have even resorted to doing their siblings’ makeup to help practice. These artists have begun to host giveaways and Instagram live sessions, during which they give makeup tips and vent about their desire to go out — just like the rest of us in quarantine. 

For those who work in beauty retail in stores like Ulta and Sephora, they too are being heavily affected by this virus. They are unable to work and do what they love making these times extremely tough. 

Gianna Ganzy, a brow technician for Benefit brow bar in Ulta, is no longer able to go to work. However, Ulta has been paying their employees, but until they closed, Ganzy remained in contact with customers.

“The most worrying thing about going to work at this time was definitely not knowing the health of my coworkers around me or my clients that I might be in close contact with,” said Ganzy. “Being someone who does eyebrows, I can’t abide by the 6 feet [of social distance] rule that lots of businesses started to do, so I was very anxious most of my shift.”

Just like the makeup artists, brow technicians and estheticians need to get up close and personal with their clients. They have to be right by their faces to make sure the service they are completing is precise and perfect. With a virus that can spread from person to person, putting yourself in someone else’s personal bubble could put everyone at risk. 

“Ulta eventually suspended all brow and lash services as well as color matching so I was not permitted to come into direct contact with guests anymore,” said Ganzy. “We also came up with a rigorous sanitation routine to add to what we already did each day to keep my work area clean and sterilized for each wax client.” 

No matter the precautions that can be taken, the ultimate goal is to protect your workers and customers. Ulta and other businesses did all they could leading up to closing, but this virus has left a lot of people out of doing what they love to do. 

“I hope it passes soon because I know lash companies who are struggling too because although I love lashes myself, I know they aren’t essentials,” said makeup artist Quintanilla. “So people aren’t buying as much and the little companies are being affected as well.”

The coronavirus does not discriminate against who would be affected by its turmoil. Companies small and large, even self starters, are persevering through this roadblock all with the same hope, for this crisis to end. 

The beauty industry has proved it is made up of strong, beautiful humans who will continue to be their creative selves, and make this time count to perfect their skills. They continue to be thankful for their fans and clients, who will stand by and support them after this is all over. 

I am a Communication Studies and Journalism and Professional Writing double major who enjoys make-up, the latest trends, and listening to new music!
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!