Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Style > Fashion

How to Dress Like a Gilmore Girl This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Fall is finally here! This means it’s time for hot coffee, cozy sweaters and rewatching “Gilmore Girls!” While you get reacquainted with Stars Hollow, here’s a quick list of wardrobe staples to have you dressing like a Gilmore in no time.

Tops

Achieving “the Lorelai look” starts with her signature tops. Fitted turtlenecks are a must for layering under blazers and jackets. Lorelai also wears lots of satin and silk blouses: button downs for work and tanks for date night. However, if you want a more “Stars Hollow” look, try a true-to-size graphic tee. You get bonus points if it’s over a long sleeve or under a zip up hoodie. The main thing to remember is to stay away from anything oversized. This is the 2000s after all.

Sweaters

Lorelai wears the occasional sweater, usually in brown or black, but Rory is the queen of sweaters. You can go for the classic chunky white cable-knit sweater from the pilot, but don’t stop there. Rory wears crew neck and turtleneck sweaters, as well as the occasional cardigan. Try greens and reds if you’re going for a season one aesthetic; try pinks, baby blues and neutrals for her Yale years. 

Low-Rise Jeans

Whether they’re boot cut or flare, jeans in the 2000s were always low rise. A medium to dark wash is your best bet, but keep your color schemes in mind. Rory wears the occasional brown or green pants, and Lorelai has a black pair, a pink pair, and a khaki pair that she pulls out on occasion. 

Skirts

Mini skirts, midi skirts, and Chilton plaid. Skirts are absolutely a staple for the Gilmore Girls aesthetic, and, with the exception of the school uniform, the skirts in the show are pretty timeless. Mini skirts are best paired with one of those fitted sweaters or turtlenecks untucked. Midi skirts are reserved for work or date nights and are always accompanied by heels.

Shoes

The Gilmores have no shortage of shoes, chosen for practicality, aesthetics and just for fun! For now, let’s go over some of the staples. To start, practical shoes are a must for walking around town. For sneakers, try Converse or a chunky pair of New Balances to get the signature 2000s look. A pair of black, simple heels are also a must. For other heels, they should be close toed for the colder months. 

Boots

The shoe selection continues with two types of staple boots. The first are tall heeled boots. Loralai has at least three pairs and we’re sure she’s not stopping there. When looking for boots, knee high and square-toed are the best way to go. The second type of boots are Dr. Martens. Sturdy boots are a must have for fall, and the Gilmore Girls love their docs. Want some inspiration straight from the source? Check “The Breakup: Part II” at 5:37 or try the moment Rory meets Dean in the Pilot episode (around 23 minutes in).

Jackets

Let’s finish off the look with the perfect outer layer. Before it gets too chilly, a denim jacket or leather blazer are the perfect layer for early fall. Medium weight trench coats are timeless and perfect over a dress. Finally, a short corduroy barn coat is your coziest and most comfortable bet. Whatever you pick, leave it unbuttoned to show off your outfit.

With these staples, you’ll look straight out of an episode of Gilmore Girls! 

Hi! I'm a Journalism and Professional Writing and Communications: Digital Filmmaking and Television double major at The College of New Jersey. I'm the president of TCNJ Lion's Television. I've always had a love for fashion and clothing design.