How She Got There: Locke Hughes, Assistant Editor at Woman’s Day Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As collegiettes, we are always looking for advice on how to make it in the “real world” once our time in college is finished.  And who better than someone who was in our shoes to help us out!  Read about Locke Hughes, the Assistant Editor at Woman’s Day magazine and how she was able to figure it all out!

Name: Locke Hughes

Age: 24

Job Title: Assistant Editor at Woman’s Day magazine

Undergraduate Degree: University of Virginia ’10, English Literature Major

What does your current job entail?  Can you describe your typical day?

LH: I do a little bit of everything here. About 60% of my job consists of researching, pitching, reporting, writing and editing articles for the front-of-book and money sections of the magazine. I cover a range of topics, including savings advice, profiles of entrepreneurs who’ve started interesting companies (like a swim school franchise or a self-serve dog wash), or women who are making a difference in their communities as volunteers.  It’s so thrilling and rewarding to find these “real” women across the country who are doing extraordinary things, and to help their stories come to life on the page.

The other main parts of my job include assisting the editor-in-chief, answering letters and emails from readers, handling sweepstakes and overseeing the intern program.  As an assistant, I schedule meetings, submit expenses and create presentations for the editor-in-chief. I also manage the massive amount of mail that Woman’s Day receives—we get comments, questions and requests for patterns and recipes (usually from way back in the 1950s or 60s since the mag has been published since 1937!).  I take care to respond to all letters individually to ensure our readers remain loyal to WD.

What was your first job out of college and how did you get it?

LH: This is technically my first real job out of college. I found a listing on ED2010.com for an editorial assistant position at Woman’s Day, and I simply submitted my resume and cover letter through the online system. A few weeks later I was called in for an interview with the executive editor, then completed an edit test, and finally met with the editor-in-chief. As it turns out, she and my previous internship supervisor at O, The Oprah Magazine had worked together before at another publication, so my former boss was able to put in a good word for me. Lesson learned: you never know who may be able to help get your foot in the door, so don’t ever burn bridges! When I finally got the call that I got the job, I was thrilled. Last October, I was promoted to Assistant Editor.

What internships did you have prior to entering the “real world” and how did you get them?

LH: After I graduated and moved to New York City in the fall of 2010 without a job (eek!), I applied to any and all editorial positions I could find online. Finally, I was called in to interview for a paid internship at O, The Oprah Magazine. After two rounds of interviews and a take-home test (yes, even for an internship) I was offered the position, which was more of an actual assistant job than an internship. My responsibilities consisted of maintaining the style closet (where the magic of Oprah’s Favorite Things happens!), helping produce the O List feature and assisting on photo shoots.  At O, I made lots of fantastic connections, since I made sure to talk to as many members of the editorial staff as I could to learn about their career paths and any advice they had for me. After seven months learning the ropes at O, I went to Seventeen as a freelancer on a special project for a month, before I got the job at Woman’s Day. Also, in college, I interned at a local magazine called C-VILLE Weekly and was a student writer for the University of Virginia Magazine my senior year. Having published clips with my bylines from these publications really helped me while interviewing for positions in NYC.

What is one mistake you made along the way?  If you could go back, would you have changed that mistake if it could have bettered you in your career earlier?

LH: I wouldn’t say it was a real mistake, but I do wish I had searched out more relevant internships and work experiences while I was in college. I don’t necessarily mean working at magazines in New York, since I know that isn’t doable for many (and certainly not for me, since I went to school in Virginia and am originally from Florida.) But over the summer before I graduated, I interned at an art auction house, even though I knew I wanted to be a writer/editor in magazines. So looking back, I should have thought harder about how the internship and contacts I’d make would help when I was out in the real world. If you want to be in publishing, for instance, pursue any and all editorial opportunities throughout the year, even if it’s for your local paper or a school magazine. Regardless of where you’re living, having published clips and real-world journalism experience goes a long way.

Do you have any words of wisdom for our readers looking for internships?

LH: As I said above, make sure to look for an internship that truly interests you and has some relevance for your desired career. But at the same time, you can’t be too picky in this economy, so do keep an open mind! Even if it’s not exactly your dream job, you can mold your internship to suit your desires. At the auction house, for example, I asked my supervisor if I could help out in the legal department since I also have an interest in law. So if you’re passionate about, say, social media, but you’re interning at a finance company, offer to build their social media presence on Facebook or Twitter.

In terms of the application process, my best advice is to be familiar with the company you’re applying to. You should know enough to include a few sentences in your cover letter about why you want to work at that company, specifically. You need to demonstrate you know something about their product or services. Whatever you do, don’t copy and paste the same cover letter—we can tell!

Lastly, what advice do you have for our graduating seniors looking to be in your shoes over the next few months/year?

LH: My number one tip for job searching is to talk to as many people as possible. Networking—which to me simply means meeting people—is truly the best way to find a job in this economy. Stay in touch with your contacts, so you’ll be at the top of people’s minds when a position opens (this is especially true in the publishing/media industry). And don’t be shy—people are usually extremely willing to talk about their careers and advice about breaking into their industry. Reach out to alumni from your college (most have an alumni database so you can search for contacts in your desired industry) and offer to buy them a quick coffee in exchange for their thoughts. Attend panels, networking events and happy hours offered by your school or extracurricular clubs and introduce yourself to the professionals in attendance.

Finally, be sure to email any contacts you’ve made through your internships to let them know you’re graduating this year, but don’t be pushy about asking for a job. Just give them a brief update on your accomplishments—like an article you wrote for the school newspaper or the study abroad program you did last semester. It’s all about timing, so this will help you stand out in their mind if/when a position does become open. Best of luck! 

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.