This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I was not always a curly-haired girl. I grew up with straight hair until about the age of 14. I remember waking up in middle school and being like “Why is my hair frizzing?” after I showered. As a 14-year-old, I had little patience to be dealing with my hair all of a sudden changing. I was annoyed, to say the least. I would straighten it or curl it normally every day for it to look presentable. My mom would help me braid it or put it up in a ponytail. I would never keep it how it naturally was supposed to be.

Growing up my mom had curly hair and still does. It’s big and beautiful and I love it. However, I think her hair was part of the reason why I struggled so much to accept my curls. Her curls were natural and were like that from when she was born. As soon as she washes her hair, it naturally curls perfectly without any product. Once it dries it looks perfect; no frizz. As for my hair, it was the exact opposite. If I let it air dry it would frizz immediately and the curls would not look natural. Because of this, my mom did not know how to treat my curls. It was a struggle for both of us to understand how my curls work.

In high school, I started getting a keratin treatment. The treatment is supposed to smoothen your hair and allow your hair to straighten naturally. I would get this every winter from freshman year until my junior year of high school. I loved it. I never had to touch my hair after a shower or constantly try and style it in different ways. In the summers, however, I would wear my hair naturally with different types of products in it. I did not mind having my curls over the summer because of the humidity and weather. But whenever winter came around I would get my treatment.

Coming into college freshman year, I was slowly starting to keep my hair naturally and using products after I washed it. I liked it, however, it was not my favorite thing in the world. My hair was still frizzy and after 3 days I would usually hate how it looked and wash it again. My roommate, however, also had curly hair. Her curls were very natural and looked great every day. I envied how her hair was able to naturally look good every day.

She started to help me find the right products and routine for my hair. I started using her products and diffuser. As the fall semester continued, I was slowly starting to like my curls and embracing them. I bought my diffuser, found my routine, and found the right hair product. The whole process of finding what was right for my hair was a game changer. I would wear my natural hair whenever I went for the first time since middle school.

Now, I fell in love with how my hair naturally looks. I know how to treat it and now I understand what is right for my hair. I know many struggles with growing to love your natural hair. For me, it was all about finding what is right for your hair. When you find what is right and healthy, you will grow to love it and love how your hair naturally looks. My curls are no longer something I am ashamed of, but something I embrace.

Isabella is a sophomore at TCNJ studying Communication Studies. As a huge pop culture lover, she hopes to one day become a Public Relations Specialist in the entertainment world. She loves music, especially Doja Cat, SZA, and Olivia Rodrigo. Isabella will binge-watch any tv show you give her. She also loves a good coffee date and a trip to NYC.