Homecoming Expectations: A Collegiette’s Guide To Saturday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Brace yourself for a TCNJ weekend unlike any other: Homecoming! Don’t get us wrong, one of the best aspects of TCNJ is the small, intimate campus and community feel, but this Saturday marks a full day of festivities that give collegiettes on our campus a taste of what it would be like to attend a larger institution where tailgates and football games are the norm every weekend.

Seasoned TCNJ students know exactly what to expect when walking towards lot 4 and the football field, but for collegiettes new to campus, the experience can be overwhelming! To help guide you through homecoming, Her Campus TCNJ has asked some seniors, upperclassmen, and even some alumi for tips to make sure you get the most out of the day. So break out your TCNJ gear and get ready for what’s sure to be a weekend to remember!

It’s 11:00 AM — What’s going on in the parking lot?
The TCNJ Homecoming Tailgate officially starts at 11:00 AM — which means people will be setting up shop with grills and coolers in Lot 4.

HC TCNJ tip #1: If you are partaking in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, do not drink from open containers. Pour all drinks into a separate cup — No cans or bottles!

The age-old question — What do I wear?
Keep in mind you’ll be spending the day outside. Music will be blasting so expect a lot of dancing and wondering throughout the parking lot, as well as posting up in the stands at the game.

HC TCNJ tip #2: Dress for comfort and save flashy outfits for the nighttime. Rock some sporty TCNJ spirited get-up. Whether you add a touch of blue and gold to your outfit or go all out and become a poster girl for the TCNJ book store, this is your chance to have fun and express some TCNJ pride. Make sure whatever you wear on your feet — sneakers, boots, Mocs, whatever — are shoes that can take a beating. The ground tends to get muddy, and walking around the parking lot makes them susceptible to scuffing!

3) What’s going on beyond the tailgate?
Homecoming is more than just partying in the parking lot. There are so many fun activities going on for you to explore!

HC TCNJ tip #3: Check out the football game and be a part of the excitement. After all, the game is the reason we’re all gathering together anyway. The game starts at 2:00 p.m., and you won’t want to miss the halftime show where the Homecoming King and Queen are crowned. You’ll want to be able to say with confidence that you saw the game-winning touchdown. Go Lions!

HC TCNJ Tip #4: Save some energy for the nightlife! When the sun goes down, it’s important to take the necessary steps to re-energize! Grab a bite at Eik and head back to your dorms to rest up, shower and get ready for after parties and celebrations! Now is the time to whip out that outfit you’ve been saving for a special occasion whether it’s a skirt and heels, jeans and boots, or more TCNJ gear. Anything goes during Homecoming as long you’re having fun (and being safe!).

What do I bring with me?
During the day, you’re not going to want to be lugging around a purse or heavy back pack. You’ll be moving around throughout the day and can’t afford anything weighing you down or getting stolen!

HC TCNJ Tip #5: Stick to the essentials: Phone, ID and emergency cash are a must. Go for a satchel or smaller gym bag to store your belongings. These options free up your hands so you can flip burgers on the grill, reach into the cooler or cheer on your lions with ease.

Don’t forget to be smart, be safe, and have fun! Check out more HC TCNJ homecoming articles on 15 must-have items for Saturday for collegiettes on a budget, how to stay safe at parties, and tunes to pump up your playlist.

What TCNJ homecoming tips would you offer underclass collegiettes new to TCNJ tailgate culture?