Fashion

Holiday Style on a Student’s Budget 

Photography: Jessie Bodnar

Styling: Marie Takacs

Model: Skye Frawley

Whether it’s a house party or a black-tie event, this holiday season is best served: dressed. In 2022, vintage is arguably the “new black.” Shopping in a family closet or scouring the state for the best pieces not only adds to the appeal but you also won’t have to break the bank. That being said, I was on a mission to do just that-

One of the key components of the vintage “look” is acquiring accessories to pull everything together. Whether it’s rhinestone heels or a deco headband, more is definitely more when it comes to this season. Below are samples of what we love for the 2022-23 season and where to shop.  

Vintage and Consignment Stores In NJ and PA (New Hope is 25 min from TCNJ)

1. Night Bird Vintage, New Hope PA.
    • Great and reasonably priced, watch out for stains and loose seams, however.
  2. Love Saves the Day, New Hope PA.
    • More fun just to visit and get ideas, a little bit too expensive; they don’t discount damages (stains, rips, tears, etc.).
  3. The Bargain Box, Morristown NJ.  
    • Best thrift store I have ever been to! YSL coat for 20 dollars, so reasonably priced and stuff is always in excellent condition. 
  4. Erby’s Elite Repeat, Morristown NJ.
    • Down the street from the Bargain Box, lots of designers and constantly rotating stock. 
  5. The Blue Ox Thrift Shop, Titusville.
    • Hit or miss, with weird hours. Charity shop; NEAR New Hope and worth a look if nearby.

Look One: “The Serena Van der Woodsen” An over-the-top dress fit for my favorite fictional Upper-Eastsider.

Ballerina Dress: custom-made (by Marie Takacs) replica of Serena’s dress from the Waldorf design’s fashion show.

Tights: Nordstrom, Shoes: vintage Christian Lacroix

Look Two- “The Blair Waldorf”: My second favorite Upper-Eastsider inspired this look which, in true Blair fashion, should be worn while scheming your next plan.

Dress: French Connection from 2008, Purple Tights: Hue, Shoes: French Connection 2008, Hair Bow: Free People.

Look Three: “The Studio 54” The legendary nightclub of New York lends its sensibilities to this outfit. If you haven’t watched the Studio 54 movie, you should.

Wrap Top and Headbands: custom made (by Marie Takacs),

Pants: American Apparel, Bag: Chloé from 2006, Shoes: Vintage St.John.

Look Four: “The Ballerina goes to a Christmas Party” This is what I imagine a dancer from the New York City Ballet would have worn to the company Christmas party in 1998.

Beaded Dress: Vintage Kay Unger, Purple Tights: Hue, Star Shoes: Vintage Marc Jacobs, Beaded Headband: Lele Saddoughi. 

Look Five: “The I borrowed My Sister’s Prom Dress” Aptly named this was my sister’s senior prom dress, but it works as a going-out dress (or a stay-at-home dress).

Bow Dress: Betsy Johnson 2008, Puffercoat: Free People, Navy Sparkle Socks: Calzedonia, Sequin Bow Pumps: Prada 2005, Bobby Pins: Ulta.

Marie is an up and coming fashion journalist and stylist. She graduated from County College of Morris with an associates in fashion design. She is Currently attending The College of New Jersey as journalism major.