HC TCNJ’s Winter Break Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Finals are almost finished and we all getting ready for the Winter break.  But instead of “settling down for a long Winter’s nap,” start making a list (and don’t send this one to Santa).  TCNJ’s very own Jessa Gionatti is working on her Winter Break Bucket List and all of us here at TCNJ want you to take these tips and think of all the exciting things that you can do with your free time over the next few weeks.  Get out there and do something with these exciting adventures and activities, perfect for the Winter Break.

Visit New York City. Taking a trip to New York City is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit!Make sure you head over to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree and the other holiday decorations before they come down on January 7th!

Go Ice Skating. While this may activity may be a little reminiscent of your middle school days, ice skating is a great way to have fun with your friends and get in some exercise at the same time… Or at least hang out at the snack bar and have some hot chocolate and fries. Also, if you end up in New York City over winter break, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Bryant Park are some awesome spots to break out your ice skates!

BakeCookies. After being away at school, where most of us aren’t lucky enough to have an oven, baking is a great way to take advantage of being backat home. Even if you aren’t a fan of baking, this could be a fun way to spend time with your family and catch up. And who can resist a freshly baked batch of sugar cookies?

Kiss Under The Mistletoe. Ok, I’ll admit, this is pretty cliché. But how many of us have actually done it? Over winter break try to get a kiss under the mistletoe! It could just be a peck on the cheek from your best friend, or something a little more special from your new crush.. Who knows what could spark from it!?

Ski/Snowboard. Take advantage of this long winter break by heading to the mountains to go skiing, snowboarding, or even snow tubing for those of us who are athletically challenged. Most mountains even have student discounts or bulk deals for us broke college kids. For instance, Mountain Creek has deals like “Carload Thursdays” (your whole car pays $99 combined for a full day skiing), and the college discount where students always get $10 off lift tickets when a valid college ID is presented.

Watch the Ball Drop. Of course we’ve all seen it on TV, but seeing the ball drop in person on New Year’s is definitely a unique experience. I’m sure everyone has said they want do it at some point, so why not actually take the trip into Times Square this year? Even if you can’t make it to New York City, be sure to at least watch the ball drop from home or at a party, and of course make sure you get a New Year’s kiss!

Polar Bear Plunge. For any of you daredevils out there, the Polar Bear Plunge is a great way to get your adrenaline pumping while raising money for a great cause. The Wildwood Polar Bear Plunge will be taking place on January 19th, 2013, and for anyone willing to take the plunge, ordonate, all proceeds from the event are donated to the New Jersey Special Olympics.

Read A Good Book. How many times this semester have you said, “I wanna read that book but I always have too much homework to do”? Well, if you’re anything like me, then you’ve said this a lot. Take advantage of this 5-week break from homework to curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book that you’ve been dying to read.

Road Trip. Grab a couple of your best friends, pack up your car, and hit the road! Whether it’s just a day trip, for a weekend, or on a vacation, winter break is a great time to go on an adventure. And since TCNJ has almost 5 weeks off for winter break this year, you’ll have plenty of time to get away. And if you get tired of being stuck at home with your parents, plenty of other colleges are heading back for their spring semester before we are, so maybe try to crash someone else’s syllabus week!?

Treat Yourself. After you’ve survived your fall finals and the stress of the holiday season, take this downtime to do a little something nice for yourself. Whether it’s using that Christmas money from your grandma to buy that handbag you’ve been coveting, or spending a day at the spa, winter break is the time to do it! I’m sure that everyone could use a day to unwind by shopping or getting a manicure.

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.