Halloween How-To: Group Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, collegiettes™!  We all know from Mean Girls that we can always just pair animal ears with a party dress and call it a costume, but there are a few more creative alternatives that can be made just as easily using things around your dorm.

We’re all on a budget but still want to look cute on Halloween so here are a few ideas for you and your friends that won’t break your bank and still turn heads at parties.

7 Deadly Sins
Envy: Deck yourself out in all green.
Sloth: For this, don your favorite study outfit of sweatpants and a sweatshirt.
Gluttony: Carry around a giant lollipop and wear fun candy colors, maybe even pin candy wrappers to your outfit. Put your hair in pigtails for a cute twist on this deadly sin.
Greed: Decorate yourself in monopoly money.
Pride: Visit a local dollar store and buy a girl’s costume tiara.
Lust: Grab your little black dress, some red lipstick and sexy  heels and you’re ready to go!
Wrath: Don a red dress, a fierce attitude, some fishnets and some wild hair. Play up the role by adding some tears in your stockings and edgy make-up!

Thing One and Thing Two
Simply take two red t-shirts and make paper signs that read “Thing One” and “Thing Two.” Be sure to get creative and funky with your hairstyle! Put your hair in a few braids or pigtails for a cute, fun look!

Holidays
This idea can be used for groups or individually. Simply pick your favorite holiday (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day) and deck yourself out in holiday decorations. Raid a local craft store and pick up some cheap ornaments for your holiday (Christmas garland, green beads for St. Patty’s Day, etc.).

Seasons
The four seasons is a good costume for a group but also individually. For each of the four seasons decorate yourself in the colors of each season. If you can, go to a craft store and get garlands or decorations from your season that you can pin to your clothes.

Crayons
The crayon is a cute and easy outfit to make! The number of people in your group is unlimited so this would be a costume especially good for a large group of people. All you need is an outfit of one color and to make a Crayola label to attach to your shirt or dress. Use two strips of black electrical tape to place above the Crayola logo on your shirt. If you feel like going above and beyond, get white baseball caps or party hats to decorate with your color and tights that match your crayon color.

Soda Cans
For these costumes, pick a few soda cans (i.e. Coca-Cola, Sprite, Sunkist, Pepsi, etc.) and base the foundation of your outfit on the colors of the can. Then you can either print out or create the soda can logos and attach them to your clothes.

M&Ms
Buy a cheap t-shirt that you wouldn’t mind getting messy. Make sure to buy a different color t-shirt for each of the people in your group! Buy a bottle of white paint and get together with your group to paint the signature M&Ms “m” on each of the shirts.

6-Pack
Take a twist on the duct-tape party dress and make you and your friends a 6-pack of beers. First, you will need a black garbage bag for each of you. Cut open the bottom of the bag and place it over your head. Then, have one of your friends pinch the back of the garbage bag use duct tape to hold these folds so that the garbage bag fits your shape. Then have your friends wind the duct tape around the garbage bag so that you’re completely covered. For the finishing touch, either print out the beer can label or look around for an empty case of beers and tape the logo to the front of your dress. Accent the top and bottom of your dress with the blue or black duct tape.