Guessing Your Love Language Based On Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As both a proud psychology major and swiftie, I present you with matching your favorite T-Swift album to a love language style. Love language is how you present your love to relationships in life, and it’s not just romantic partner based. Originating from marriage counselor Dr. Gray’s book “The 5 Love Languages”, they are as follows; words of affirmation, quality time, physical touch, acts of service, and receiving gifts. 

1. Taylor Swift (Debut)- Physical Touch

Ah, young love. You love how he’s got one hand on the steering wheel, the other on your heart. Debut girls have an innocent outlook on love and are very expressive with their emotions. There’s a fire inside of you that can’t help but shine through!

1. Fearless- Quality Time

This album’s fans love fearlessly. Everytime you see them, today feels like a fairytale. You invest 100% of yourself and time into your relationships, and it may get you hurt sometimes, but that’s just the way you love. And if you’re waiting on some lacking quality time, don’t wait for him by the phone to call, maybe ask him to hangout first. And if they don’t want to invest themselves the same, bye bye baby. 

1. Speak Now- Acts of Service

Speak Now stans love acts of service, whether it’s saving an empty seat, kissing you on the sidewalk, or a rude interruption, the small gestures of love add up. You’ve been through a lot in your relationships and life, and are cautious with your heart. When you find something real, you hope they never leave you alone. Maybe even if they’re the kind of reckless that should send you running, someday you know you’ll miss watching them laughing from the passenger side. 

1. Red- Receiving Gifts

Whether it be a red scarf or a 21st birthday party, Red girlies love receiving gifts. No matter what it is, you’ll probably remember it all too well. You leave notes deep in their pockets in hopes they will too. You look for meaningful signs in your relationships. You don’t want a thousand dollar couch, you want roses you can throw in the street! Red girls feel everything deeply and whole-heartedly, you know love will just bleed or fade in time, but have fun along the journey, and that’s how you know everything will be alright.  

1. 1989- Quality Time

Whether he’s taking you home or it’s morning at his place, 1989 fans appreciate all the quality time, and you know the places to go. You’re care-free, open-hearted, and a little wild. Maybe you’re just living your best life in New York and don’t care for other people’s opinions and make the moves up as you go. He’ll see you in hindsight or maybe in a polaroid. You may want him or worse or for better, but if that one relationship doesn’t work out, life is just classroom anyways. 

1. Reputation- Physical Touch

Reputation has quite a few spicy songs, so I think if you’re a swiftie you saw this coming. You’re generous, affectionate, and authentic. Reputation is all about owning your power- and physical touch girlies excude confidence! Don’t blame me, but the taste of his lips is your idea of a luxury and they’ve made their mark on you. You want someone who’s the king of your heart, body, and soul. 

1. Lover- Words of Affirmation

You’re my lover, and you love to hear it. Words of affirmation identifiers need reassurance, even in the stablest and healthiest relationships. This love language especially applies to anyone who’s favorite song is “The Archer”, sometimes it’s just nice to hear that you could stay. Asking for reassurance is totally normal, so don’t ask the traffic lights, just be honest and upfront! 

1. Folklore- Acts of Service

Folklore girls want someone to put them on and say they’re their favorite. You’re quite the melancholic and nostalgic person, you think every person is your soulmate, and that there was some invisible string tying you to them. Sure, this can lead to some devastating heartbreak, illicit affairs type devastating heartbreak, like standing on the cliffside screaming “give me a reason” type heartbreak, but you also know one day you’ll get to experience someone drawing stars around your scars and time with someone slipping away like a bottle of wine. Maybe right now you’re just waiting for someone to show up at your party and ask if they’ll have you, or maybe your partner doesn’t listen to the warning signs and read your mind, either way you definitely have a few catastrophic problems in your love life. Why else would you put on Folklore. 

1. Evermore- Receiving Gifts

The ring in your pocket, Dom Perignon, or grocery receipts, no matter the gift given or left behind- Evermore stans surely appreciate it. You take every little sign as hope and fate, like a willow that bends to your wind. And sometimes, you think you deserve better because you give so much to your relationships, but they don’t always have much to give back. You know your love should be celebrated, so don’t just tolerate it. You deserve someone who makes falling feel like flying (…until the bones crush). 

1. Midnights- Words of affirmation

Stop, you’re losing me. A lot of Midnights depicts relationships with lack of communication. Maybe it’s because of a high infidelity in the past or someone’s just on their vigilante stuff, but words of affirmation are a priority to you to keep. If there’s something you feel uneasy about, don’t let it become something bigger .  The lavender haze and sweet nothings may be nice, but the maroon phase will wear off, and your relationship needs to be strong enough that when someone asks if you have a man, you can say you do remember.

Madelyn is junior psychology major, with a double minor in public health and women's gender studies. She enjoys music, coffee, spending time with her dog, and laughing with her friends. Her interests include mental health advocacy and women's reproductive rights and education. She's new to publishing written work and excited for her future in HerCampus!