The Greek World Uncovered: Bigs and Littles and Families… Oh My?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A few weeks ago, the sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma held their annual philanthropy event called Two of a Kind, where Bigs and Littles from all different Greek organizations compete to claim the title of the best Big/Little pair. Each pair was asked numerous questions about each other, like “what’s your favorite fat shack order?” all the way to, “which huge, colored ball on TCNJ’s campus is your favorite?”

Big/Little pairs are essential to the Greek community- every organization has them, or at least something like them. But to a non-Greek, who may walk by a duo calling each other “Big” or “Little,” the question is–what’s the big deal about being a Big/Little pair?

As a pledge, receiving your Big is often one of the best experiences during pledge season because it means that you’re finally becoming an integral piece of your organization. You’re joining a family line, and girls years from now will look back at your family and see your name. Each girl in your particular family has learned and valued the traditions of your organization just as you have, and now you get to continue that line by becoming a Little sister. Also, your Big sister usually showers you with letter shirts and gifts.

“I love having a Big because it gives you a sense of family in the sorority and a connection that no one else has,” says Nora Heck, a sister of Kappa Delta.

Your Big becomes almost a mentor to you; she’s been where you are and she helps you transition from being a pledge to a sister. She teaches you the ins and outs of the sorority, and she’s always there for great advice and guidance.

When a sister decides to take a Little, it means that she’s been in the sorority for at least a semester, if not more, and is ready to become a mentor.

“I love being a little because I know that I always have my Big to look up to when I don’t know what to do,” says Susie Pappas, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon.

Whether it’s advice about what position to run for in the sorority, which professors to avoid, or whether or not to buy those shoes, your Big sister is always someone that you can turn to. The relationship between Bigs and Littles is special and unique, and the bond is not easily broken.

Most Greeks keep in touch with their Bigs and Littles far beyond college. Even if you can’t name her favorite fat shack sandwich, or decipher which huge TCNJ ball is her favorite (what colors are they again?), you can count on your Big/Little to be a friend for life.