This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Gracie Abrams, the 23-year-old rising indie-pop artist known for her EPs “Minor” and “This is What It Feels Like”, released her debut album “Good Riddance” on Feb. 24. The album is an honest and relatable reflection of love and loss, told in Abrams’ signature falsetto.

“Good Riddance” was released just days before she began her international tour under the same name, and weeks before she accompanies pop-icon Taylor Swift for “The Eras Tour.” Abrams has mentioned that she has taken inspiration from Swift. This is evident in Abrams’ music which often includes memorable choruses and moving bridges, similar to Swift. It would not be surprising if the hundreds of thousands, or even millions who see Abrams perform during “The Eras Tour” fall in love with her music.

Abrams’ album features numerous break-up anthems, like “Fault line”, “Where do we go now?” and “Best”. In the third, which is the first track on the album, Abrams admits to being the one to leave another when she sings, “You’re the worst of my crimes / You fell hard, I thought good riddance.” These lyrics, along with album title, set the tone for the 11 subsequent tracks where she confesses feelings of guilt and regret.

Abrams addresses a past lover in “I know it won’t work” when she sings “‘Cause part of me wants you back, but / I know it won’t work like that, huh?.” The majority of Abrams’ tracks like “The blue”, “This is what the drugs are for” and “I should hate you” include lyrics that insinuate that Abrams is saying “goodbye” to an old lover.

Not all of the tracks are about breakups, but the album still remains cohesive in motifs and style. In “Amelie”, Abrams sings about losing touch with a stranger who she never got the chance to know, and in “Difficult” she expresses struggles with growing up and losing the comfort that comes with childhood.

Abrams translates profound feelings into speech, stringing just the right words together to make for soft but impactful lyrics. This allows listeners to connect with the singer on an emotional level. Abrams sings, “’Cause now I’m half of myself here without you / You’re the best in my life and I lost you / And we had no control when we fell through,” during “Where do we go now,” my personal favorite on the album. This lyric comes from the song’s fast-paced bridge, which is an exciting addition to the usually mellow direction Abrams’ songs take.

There are plenty of catchy tunes on the album, one being “Difficult”, another favorite of mine. Abrams is accompanied by lively and alluring instrumentals. In the chorus she sings, “Oh, I know / Spiralin’ is miserable / I should probably go back home / Why does that feel difficult, difficult?” She repeats these lines over and over, making the song extra catchy. Throughout the record, Abrams often repeats the same lyrics over and over, making her songs unforgettable, and may be why I often feel urges to revisit “Good Riddance.”

Abrams’ debut album is an emotional ride with poignant lyrics and melodies that remain even after the song is over, leaving a lasting impression on listeners.

Isabella Darcy is a freshman at The College of New Jersey majoring in journalism and professional writing and minoring in creative writing. At the College, Isabella is a staff writer for the news section of the school newspaper. You can find her baking, listening to music, or hanging out with friends during her free time.