Game of Thrones Season 8: Slightly Underwhelming but Full of Potential

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

*Spoilers ahead! Read at your own risk!*

Image Source

The eighth and final season of Game of Thrones aired on April 14, and I was very excited. I admit, I have only been a fan for a few weeks now since I started the show in January. I have been binging episodes in order to watch the eighth season, so I have not been anticipating the show for almost two years like most people, but I was still excited. When my friends and I sat down to watch the season premiere, I couldn’t wait to see the continuation of a show I had invested so much time in. But when it started, I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. I had just finished the jam-packed season 7 finale less than an hour before, so the tame season premiere was certainly not what I expected.

Don’t get me wrong, there were some incredible moments. From Arya and Jon reuniting, to the creepy Umber boy screaming and burning, to the magnificent dragons- as an overall episode, it was a bit of a let down. It felt like a short episode, being as it hit just over 54 minutes. When the credits began to roll, I was definitely a bit dissatisfied− Jaime arriving at Winterfell (alone), eyes widening at the sight of the boy he aimed to kill in the very first episode of the show. It ended so abruptly with no words exchanged, but after watching the preview for the next episode, I felt a bit better. It was bound to get better because after all, it is Game of Thrones.

So in anticipation for the next episode arriving in a week, here are some of the best moments (in my opinion) from the final season premiere.

1. Jon and Daenerys riding of the dragons together- felt a bit How to Train Your Dragon, but still cinematically beautiful.

Image Source

2. All my favorite Starks reuniting and being beautiful

Image Source

3. Theon saving Yara and Yara being a boss ass b*tch that she is

Image Source

4. Samwell finding out about his father and brother

Image Source

5. Jon finding out about his birthright

Image Source

While the first episode was a bit of a bummer, I am so excited for next week, and cannot wait for more Game of Thrones!

Image Source

Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.
Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.