Gabrielle Florek: Bringing ‘Extra Life’ to TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

TCNJ has successfully raised funds and awareness for worthy causes through relays, walkathons, and even zumbathons—and now, thanks to Gabrielle Florek, we can add a 24-hour gaming event to this list as well.

Gabrielle (Bree to her friends), a senior English and Secondary Education double-major with a creative writing minor here at the College, first heard about Extra Life, an international 24-hour gaming charity event, after a friend organized it at another school. “It was very successful: they raised around $2,000 for the Children’s Miracle Network and had a lot of fun. I immediately thought about bringing the event to TCNJ,” she said.

Extra Life is super simple to get involved with. Participants can sign up and join the TCNJ team here (http://www.extra-life.org/team/tcnj), ask friends and family to pledge a single donation or an hourly pledge, and play games from November 2, 2013, at 8:00am to November 3, 2013, at 8:00am. For each hour you play games—and we’re talking anything, from video games to board games, card games, RPG games, ball sports, tag, improv games, Candy Crush—you can raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network. All money earned will go to the Children’s Specialized Hospital in New Jersey.

The 24-hour gaming marathon is taking place anywhere and everywhere on November 2 into November 3. “The best part is the flexibility of the event: you can meet in groups, with a few friends, or just play on your own. It’s also not mandatory to stay up all 24 hours,” Bree shared. “How you participate is completely up to you.”

If you are interested in joining the TCNJ Team and helping to reach the goal of $2,000 for Extra Life this November, you can register at http://www.extra-life.org/team/tcnj. “Clubs and organizations can also feel free to coordinate short events throughout the day to bring in more donations,” Bree suggested. Feel free to ask questions on the Facebook event she has set up.

In addition to bringing Extra Life to the College campus this semester, Bree played an active role as Lampito in All College Theatre’s fall production of “Lysistrata,” which went up earlier this month. She also co-wrote this year’s Murder Mystery Dinner Show, “Trial by Error,” which will go up later this month. Bree has been actively involved with ACT for her entire college career as both a performer and technical designer. She is also a member of Alpha Psi Omega Theatre Honor Society and Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society.

When asked what her favorite thing about attending TCNJ is, Bree replied, “I love the community here at TCNJ. We’re extremely dedicated, involved, proud of our school and how we represent it.”

Rachel Chlebowski is an alumna of The College of New Jersey, where she sang with I-Tunes A Cappella, created props for TCNJ Musical Theater, spread literary cheer through Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, and wrote for Her Campus TCNJ. She enjoys reading novels and watching Netflix when she isn't editing manuscripts and media.