From Conversation to Job: The Importance of Networking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

“It’s not about what you can do but about who you know.”

As the college years dwindle down between you and the real world of job interviews, grad school and 9-5 workdays, you’ll hear that saying constantly. In our current society of Facebook, Twitter, and other various sites designed to create and maintain connections with people you meet, networking has become an integral part of the business world, especially for recent graduates. The pressure of putting yourself out there now has higher stakes than just filling your social calendar for the weekends.

Dr. Benny Chan, a TCNJ Professor in the Chemistry department, is a strong proponent of networking and advocates it as a means to push your career forward.

“Initial networking is just finding out information about people,” says Dr. Chan. “Talk to people and show interest. It’s all about making the right professional connections and at some point in the future, you may be able to tap that person for help.”

According to Lou Adler, a headhunter and author of Hire with Your Head and The Essential Guide for Hiring and Getting Hired, “networking represents a far larger segment of the hiring process than first imagined.” The manager often considers people they or their peers personally know as the second step in filling a position, only following moving someone internally as the first step. Therefore, it is becoming more apparent that networking can actually significantly affect your chances of getting hired.

Everyone always says that college is the time to branch out of your comfort zone, meet new people, and make connections that will last a lifetime. So why not make those connections count? Whether you’re a freshman just starting college or a senior about to graduate, networking is a skill that will not only help secure your future but can also give you trusted friends you can turn to for professional or personal advice.

Here are some tips for networking beginners:

1. Don’t stay in your comfort zone. Go out and meet new people by joining clubs, attending office hours, checking out job fairs, and even chatting with people in your classes. You’ll never know the opportunities that might open up by doing something as simple as knocking on a professor’s door and asking about their research or turning around in your seat and introducing yourself to the person sitting behind you.

2. Show off your skills and accomplishments. As Dr. Chan said, “You always want to be able to talk about yourself intelligently and all the specialized things you can do.” When you’re meeting someone new, slip in something cool that you’ve done, so that people remember you not just as a name but also attach the name with a good fact about you. There’s nothing wrong with being proud of what you’ve done, just as long as you don’t obnoxiously brag about them.  

3. Start a LinkedIn account. More and more corporate professionals use LinkedIn to find prospective employees, so don’t treat LinkedIn as your Facebook or Twitter account. Keep your profile is professional and your resume is polished.

4. Keep in touch with the people that you meet. Follow up with your new contacts by getting in touch with them within 24 hours. Send them a personal message and mention something you talked about to show you were paying attention. This is a good way to keep the connection fresh and long-lasting.