Common Misconceptions about Certain Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

College is a place that helps to build what you want to do for the rest of your life. Whether you want to become a lawyer, journalist, doctor, teacher, engineer, businessperson, a musician or anything else, it helps to build your foundation to succeed in those areas. However, with every major comes hardship, and outsiders will continue to hold stereotypical views about your major. Here are few misconceptions about some college majors.

1. Education: People believe that teaching is all fun and games and that you’re in it just to get your summers off. People never understand why you would want to spend all your time with kids, especially if you are not making any money.
  2. English: Outsiders never understand what you will do with your English degree. You are looked at as someone who loves to read and write, but you will end up with a job that has nothing to do with either of those.
  3. Business: People think you’re in it to make money fast. The common stereotype is that all you care about is money and power and you will do whatever it takes to get to the top. They also think it’s the easiest major to get a job in because the opportunities are endless.
  4. Pre-Law: People think that to be a lawyer you have to be corrupt and cocky. They will love asking you what you want to do with law, where you want to work, where you want to go to law school, the questions never stop!
  5. Pre-Med: When people hear you’re on the Pre-Med track they pray for your sanity and think that you have almost no social life and are stuck partying with your textbooks. Most pre-med students probably hear, “Good luck! You’ll be stuck in school forever, but at least you’ll be making bank!”

Regardless of what people say, do what makes you happy!

A current elementary education student at TCNJ. I have a passion for teaching, I love to write, watch TV, I'm a foodie and love anything related to fashion/beauty!
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.