This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

When you’re in college, it’s easy to get caught up in the worries of ‘the now.’ Questions like, “Will I make friends?” “What activities am I interested in?” and “Do I even like the major I’m in?” may fill your brain. Everything is new—you’re excited yet nervous—and there are so many opportunities to grow into the person you were bound to be. 

Senior year definitely feels like a ways away when you start. It might be hard to believe, but before you know it, you won’t have those first-year worries. College life will be over, and a new phase of your life will soon follow. Whether you’re a freshman still bright-eyed to it all, or a junior looking toward making the most of the final run, there’s always time to make college your own. As a second semester senior looking back and reflecting on my time here at TCNJ, I find that there is a fair share of things I wish I would’ve done slightly differently, as well as things I’m so glad I took the time to focus on. Here is my ‘master-list’ of college tips from yours truly: an old, washed up, second semester senior:

1. SAVE Your Money 

Starting off with an absolute MUST and the advice that no one wants to hear. As much as you may turn a blind eye on this, you will end up spending copious amounts of money on food and eating out. Even if you don’t have a car on campus, using Uber Eats to order food is a convenient way to not have to think about food prep. Also, the potential carpool Wendy’s run is always a temptation on late nights. Along with events, trips, parties (that you will most likely need a dress or a cute top for) and basically every other form of necessity that you may require being a semi-independent young adult, things can add up without you even noticing. Having a budget plan or even a spreadsheet to track your spending on can be a lifesaver in the long run (trust)—and I am not a fan of numbers in any shape or form. Welcome to adulting (kinda)!

1. Make Lists

Do NOT think lists are silly. Our brains can only hold so much information at a time. Even if your memory is top notch, something will slip through the cracks. Don’t say I didn’t tell you! I used to think that lists wouldn’t work for me, and now I am a list/planner queen! Lists are the best way to grab ahold of all of the stuff you have to get done in a day. Plus, I LOVE being able to physically cross or check something off on a list—it’s the most satisfying thing.

1. Cook/Plan Meals (if you can)

It may seem like a tedious task that requires effort, but meal prep will literally save you in those crazy busy weeks. I say, find foods you like, buy them in bulk, cook them, and store them. Of course, it’s a bit more difficult without a kitchen, but even utilizing the dining hall can work if you plan it right. If you are blessed with a kitchen and a car, the easiest way to save money on food is to meal prep.

1. Don’t freak out if you’re unsure about “what you want to be”

Being unsure about your future goals is one of the biggest concerns with incoming freshman, and it never really goes away as you grow. Even if you’re dead set on a major or career, you really never know what could happen. Don’t dwell on this too much, because you have time (even if it may not seem like it). And who knows, maybe you could even pick up a minor or join a club that could literally flip the entire script on what you want to do! Yay for discovering our true selves—this is a beautiful thing! 

1. Call your loved ones

The college environment can feel like the most major shift in your life/comfort level. One day, it feels like summer camp, and the next, it may become your home base. PLEASE don’t forget to keep in touch with your loved ones, as they most likely want to hear about how you’re doing. While campus life can be a bubble in which you get easily caught up, if you are blessed with people who care about you, let them know!

1. Learn how to compromise

You’re going to get grouped into things and you’re going to have to work with others. That’s just the reality of life. Maybe you have a new roommate that you don’t know just yet, or you are navigating the complexities of being on E-board of a club. More often than not, you are going to run into disagreements, even the smallest ones of sorts. Learn how to approach problems with practical compromises, and above all, respect. Most issues are easily solved with a little communication, and if that doesn’t work, don’t be afraid to seek help.

1. Most parties are about who you surround yourself with 

I’ll say it, all of the college parties you see in movies are not entirely true to life. I’d argue that even the biggest colleges’ parties are really what you make of it. If you’re planning on partying (which I encourage you to do from time to time, woo!), do it smartly and safely, and most importantly be yourself. Know who your people are, and again, trust that gut feeling if something’s off. Above all else, have a good time! :)

1. Save your money (PT. 2)

Haha, this is so important it had to be listed twice :D

1. Be open to things/put yourself out there a lil’

This sort of ties into the whole “what you want to be” debacle. You really just never know what can spark an interest. If you ever feel like something is out of reach, or that you don’t fit the image of something, throw that away right NOW! College is the time to push yourself and do what peaks your interest, so if you’re on the fence about that sorority, sport, or whatever it may be, go for it! Again, you really just never know what could end up being a great fit!

1. You’re not alone in anything you do/feel

College can quite literally be one of the most social yet isolating environments one can ever put themself in. You could be having the worst day of your life, taking an “in my feelings” walk around campus with your headphones in, and passing a ton of strangers who would never know what you are going through. Little do you know that everyone you are passing is also having an “in my feelings” walk with their headphones in. Most of the time, everyone else is feeling exactly what you feel at some point in time. I believe it comes with the territory of becoming adults and finding ourselves (or something like that, you know?) Reach out to people, even if you think they seem to be doing just fine. You will also have moments where you don’t even know what’s wrong, and that’s totally fine! Even if you don’t particularly know a person well, if they look down, it doesn’t hurt to ask them if they’re good (easier said than done, but you really just never know, it could really help them out!)

1. College is not built for everyone, and that’s okay!

This goes without saying, college is not necessary to be a successful or fulfilled individual. When you remove all of the external expectations and pressure from others, ask yourself: what are you left with? You’re left with you, and trust me, that gut feeling will let you know if university life is the right fit and investment. Never ignore that feeling. If it feels like college is hurting you more than helping, listen to that! College can be beneficial and enriching to some, but that doesn’t mean the same goes for every human being, got it? Good.  

1. Prioritize rest/mental health days when YOU need it

As much as it may feel like the end of the world, it isn’t. Let’s be real, in the long run, your body and mental well being is much more important than any exam or club responsibility that you will ever have, like ever. The buzz of college life can wait, and when you feel rested and well, you can jump back in and knock out all of those responsibilities. I’ll let you in on a secret: most professors and higher ups will understand, they are also human!

1.  Be proud of YOU! 

Like wait, please realize, you are a college student…that in itself is the biggest accomplishment. Sometimes, it’s difficult to grasp the capacity of something until you’re at the end of it, and let me tell you, this is HARDDD! It is a trek, but you will feel so much and learn so much in the process. In the end, I believe that you will come out that much closer to who you were always destined to be. It might sound like a cliché, but it is the honest truth. Just remember: deep breaths, I believe in you, the world has got you, and please, enjoy it! :)

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace