Breaking Ground with Campus Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

When the school week comes to a close, TCNJ collegiettes face the struggle of making weekend plans. Sure, a house party or a rendezvous with the Slocals is always an easy go-to, but sometimes a girl needs a little ‘real life’ action. A dinner out, a mani/pedi with your best friend, a stress-relieving shopping spree; all musts for TCNJ collegiettes – imagine not having to leave campus?

Route 1’s stream of businesses and Princeton’s glorified hotspots are a car ride away, but these can be impossible ventures for TCNJ’s newest freshmen collegiettes.       

This past Friday, Sept. 27, TCNJ President Barbara Gitenstein welcomed New Jersey Governor Chris Christie to the groundbreaking of TCNJ’s Campus Town project – TCNJ’s very own Route 1/Princeton alternative.

The $56 million investment will offer TCNJ students and the surrounding Ewing community 137 apartments, retail stores, an exercise facility, restaurants and a bookstore. It will also create approximately 325 construction jobs. 

TCNJ graduate and longtime Ewing resident Michael Camastra said, “Campus Town will greatly enhance the future students’ experiences at the college. It will provide for easier access to student social life, as it will be on-campus, and will not require students, especially those without vehicles, to find social activities off-campus.  I think the Campus Town is the missing piece to putting TCNJ on the map as one of the most elite public colleges in the country.”

Not only are TCNJ students and alumni excited about the project, but the Ewing community is as well.  Ewing native and recent TCNJ grad TJ Ivins said, “My family and neighbors are actually really excited for the new Campus Town. They think it will make TCNJ more appealing to students.  As a result, the college will grow, and hopefully drive up property values.”

Current students anxiously await the completion of the Campus Town, which is slated for Fall 2015 (if all goes as planned). New TCNJ collegiettes: get ready to experience a whole new world at TCNJ! And to the class of 2014: be sure to come back and visit!