Ariana Grande’s Sweetener and New Single “Thank U, Next” Are Empowering AF and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

This past summer, Ariana Grande released her new and very empowering album Sweetener. The album literally radiates confidence, self-love, and advice on knowing when enough is enough.

There’s no doubt that this past year for Grande has been a rollercoaster ride. The singer went from break-up, to engagement, to having to get through the death of one of the most influential people in her life, Mac Miller, and back to another break-up. However, despite this crazy whirlwind that she’s been on, her album makes anyone and everyone stop what they’re doing to listen to her songs, absorb her amazing vocals, and above all else, feel good. A song like “successful” makes you dance when you’re driving and makes you think “Yes, I AM” to every word she sings. Who doesn’t love a feel-good song, let alone an entire ALBUM?

On November 3rd, 2018, this actual QUEEN dropped “Thank U, Next” right before her ex-fiancé Pete Davidson went on SNL. After their breakup, Davidson made a joke about their broken engagement in the promo for his SNL appearance (major eye roll), and Ariana wasn’t having it, so she cleared up the negativity surrounding their breakup with this gem of a song. It’s actually quite impossible not listen to “Thank U, Next” more than once!

Other than the name dropping, which honestly isn’t even that bad compared to what other artists have done, the song doesn’t have one bit of shade and is quite the opposite of a petty, revenge song. It gives the much-needed perspective of not hating your exes and learning what to do better in your next relationship, rather than sitting around spreading negativity about your past loves.

The song is about how true growth is being able to forgive the people who have wronged you and being able to move on with your life in a way that will help you become the person you are meant to be. Grande’s song is empowering for anyone dealing with similar situations and shares the message that moving on is not only for yourself now, but also for your future-self.

No matter who you are, where you’ve been, or how you’re doing, Ariana Grande’s songs allow you to take a moment to just reflect on all you’ve been through and remember to “just keep breathin’” because at the end of the day you’ll “get well soon” (Sorry, I had to).

There is nothing more refreshing about this album than the fact that it’s about self-growth, too. There is so much music out today about being petty and being better than everyone else when that’s not the case or even mentally healthy. Ariana Grande, her album. Sweetener, and her new single “Thank U, Next” promote self-love, self-care, and self-growth, which is something we need more of! Props to you, girl.

Eunice is a current student at TCNJ, and she majors in Communications Studies with minors in Marketing and Graphic Design. She has also been the Graphic Designer for HC TCNJ since Fall of 2018. Although she only has her phone to take photos, she loves to capture the world around her, and doesn't care if she has to stop in the middle of traffic to do so! Eunice is also a food lover and the occasional Netflix and Hulu binger, with her favorite shows right now being "Quantico" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (She thinks she could totally be a cop or FBI agent). Eunice and many of her favorite photographs can be found on her Instagram account, @blasianchronicles or @eundesigns.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.