Album Review: Paramore’s Paramore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s been a short while since Paramore’s new self-titled album came out, and I honestly can’t tell you how many times I’ve already listened to it (though the number is well into the double digits). 

I have been a die-hard Paramore fan since high school, and for any fellow Hayley Williams-lovers out there (yes, I wanted the orange hair too), I’m sure you know what such a dedication feels like. The ups and downs of the band- i.e. the two Farro brothers leaving the band, the release of “Now” as a single, and the long anticipated 17 tracks of Paramore– left me anxious for Paramore’s future in the music scene.  But I have to say, this album and the members of Paramore have exceeded my expectations in every possible way, and I have never been more proud to support this band as much as I do.

If there’s one thing this self-titled album accomplishes, it shows that instead of playing it safe with their straight-up “alternative” music, Paramore has embraced their new sound and identity amongst their 3 members, each with a wide variety of musical influences. Admittedly, I was one of the skeptics upon my first listen to the single “Now”. What was Paramore possibly thinking? How could Hayley’s singing style, along with the overall sound of the band, completely change?  But a few listens and a few months later, the song grew on me and Paramore released what is probably their best album yet. I’ve read many articles with each member stating how this album “brought new purpose to the band”, and it definitely shows.  The album perfectly tracks the experiences of Paramore in the last year or so, and shows how they have made it out on top.

This album is by far the most eclectic album Paramore has ever made, and with 17 tracks, it’s amazing that the energy does not fall through on any song.  “Fast In My Car” is an appropriate starting track, with a high-energy in anticipation of the songs to come. There are also some songs that stay true to the old Paramore sound like “Daydreaming”, and “Part II” which actually features lines from songs on previous albums. However, “Part II” is beautifully haunting with a powerhouse chorus that is telling of the hardships from the Farro split.  There are also 3 interludes that hint at the Farro brothers; featuring the playful sounds of a ukulele, these songs come off less harsh than some of the biting lyrics featured on songs from Paramore’s 2011 release, Brand New Eyes.

“Still Into You”, the second single after “Now”, is one of the best feel-good, bubbly songs I ‘ve heard in awhile. This song (and the music video) truly capture the essence of the first stages of falling in love and the feeling of “cloud nine”.  Though this song is much more poppy than anything Paramore has previously done, the next song on the album, “Anklebiters” shows that the punk spunk of Paramore has not been lost.

The standout track of the album for me (and the next single? I’m calling it) is “Ain’t It Fun”.  With a funky 90’s feel and the incredible addition of a gospel choir, this song steals the show. My personal favorite from the album, however, is “Hate to See Your Heart Break”.  Hayley wrote this song about guitarist, Taylor York, feeling alone and misplaced while writing the album in LA. The true feelings of empathy and friendship come across in this beautifully written song.

The only downside to the album is the last track, “Future”. After the countless times I have listened to the album, I’m still not sure how I feel about it as an ending track. The title of the song is definitely appropriate though, and I think Paramore will only continue to grow in the up-coming year with their risk-taking. If you weren’t a Paramore fan before, give this album a listen, and I can almost guarantee you will be now!

*Also check out Hayley William’s new makeup line with M.A.C. cosmetics for some awesome orange colors for Spring!  http://www.maccosmetics.com/in…

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.