Advice For A Transfer, From A Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it was like to be the new kid at school? I used to think that it would be fun, since you get a chance to reinvent yourself. I had that opportunity freshman year, and I made many friends my first year of college, my roommate being my closest friend. Then…I had an idea for what I wanted my major to be, and it was a moment of excitement realizing I was now going to have a purpose for waking up for 8 AMs, but then a moment of nervousness followed. I was going to have to change schools, since the school I was at did not have that major. I had just settled in with my new friends, and now I knew I was going to have to start all over again. It was fun starting over freshman year, as everyone was in the same boat, but being a sophomore going to a new school made me worry.  

Making friends was my biggest fear, I was worried that because everyone already had their friend groups I wouldn’t be welcomed. I was worried about figuring my way around campus and stressed about how all my credits would work out. My most important advice for fellow transfers is to go and meet with your advisor, go to club meetings, and step out of your comfort zone.

An advisor can be your best friend in college; they are there to guide you and help you figure out the best path for you and your major. At my old school, my advisor was someone who was very difficult to work with. After coming here I have realized that my new advisor is really on my side and is trying there best to help me in every way they can.

Joining multiple clubs was one of the best decisions I have made so far. It is a great way to branch out and meet people that are not just in your class. I was so worried about joining a club because I consider myself  more introverted than extroverted, but I told myself as a transfer that I would at least join one my first semester. It has proven to get me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to meet people instead of hiding up in my campus town apartment. I have found though going these clubs that the students and faculty here are very open to meeting new people as long as you as well put the effort forth.

It can be discouraging being a transfer in college. There have been times when I wished I didn’t transfer when I was stuck up in my room all day just doing homework and not really getting the opportunity to talk to people. Whenever I’m down, I just keep reminding myself that as time goes on I will meet more people, make more friends, and have more fun things to do. It is just a day by day process as a transfer.  Remind yourself that you are making progress when you step out of you comfort zone and go to a club meeting where you know no one or even just ask someone in your class to study with you for the next test. As hard as it is being a transfer, there are just as many rewards that come from it and getting your education being the biggest one.

Sophomore at TCNJ
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.