This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Much like a lot of people these days, I have a lot of extra time on my hands. A lot of that time goes into listening to music. Discovering new artists whose music I can resonate with and channel my emotions into brings me a lot of joy. Here are 10 female artists whose art inspires me to no end.

Phoebe Bridgers

I owe my discovery of Phoebe Bridgers (and a lot of the artists on here) to my brother. Phoebe’s vocal quality and dreamy lyrics are like something I’ve never heard before. Her music is that of an incredible movie score, and can make you feel all of the feelings. My personal favorite songs of hers are “I Know The End”, “Chinese Satellite”, and “Kyoto.” 

Faye Webster 

Faye is an artist that actually came to perform at TCNJ several years ago and I’m upset that I didn’t attend! Her song “Kingston” is one that drew me in right away, it’s one of the most dreamlike songs I’ve ever heard. Her vocals are insanely hypnotic and her songs have a lot of character to them. If you want music that makes you feel like the main character, this is it! 

Weyes Blood

Another artist I found through my brother’s recommendation. Weyes has a soft yet soulful voice and it personally reminds me a lot of Stevie Nicks. Her music makes me feel like I’m in an old-timey coming-of-age film, which is always a good thing. My favorite songs of hers are “Everyday” and “Something to Believe”.”

Rina Sawayama

The first song I ever heard from Rina was her single “Cherry.” I highly recommend listening to that song first if you’re thinking of looking into her music. I’m very drawn to singers who incorporate storytelling with unique beats and production and Rina is definitely one of those artists. She reminds me of Marina Diamandis of Marina and The Diamonds in the sense that she does not tick one box. With her vibrant pop, metal, and techno influences–she is very multifaceted in her music.

Allie X

I discovered Allie X through Spotify recommendations, and became very obsessed with her song, “Susie Save Your Love,” which features Mitski, another incredible artist on this list. I thoroughly enjoy her soprano vocals paired with deep bass riffs, which she likes to do in a lot of her songs.  

Remi Wolf

You may have heard Remi Wolf’s song “Monte Carlo” as it was featured on some big-time Samsung ads recently. I am personally obsessed with her ability to tweak her vocals in interesting ways. All of her music is fun, colorful, and her voice has a wonderful grit to it.

Caroline Polachek

Caroline’s soprano vocals and unique production create something truly magical to listen to. Her music really puts you in the shoes of her experiences. I personally love her songs “Door,” and “Look At Me Now” from her junior album, “Pang”. 

Mxmtoon

I have been a fan of Mxmtoon since her hit singles “Prom Dress” and “feelings are fatal” and I feel that she has only progressed since then. I played her song “bon iver” when it first came out on repeat for what felt like months. Her vocals are so effortlessly calming it will instantly make you take a deep breath.

Bree Runway

Bree is an artist that I discovered through Rina Sawayama, and she is most definitely not one to be ignored. Her vocals are effortless and her songs definitely have a lot of techno/dance hall influences. I love her song “All Night” and her music style reminds me of Missy Elliot–which I love. Funnily enough, Missy features on her newest album, “2000AND4EVA.”

Mitski 

I actually saw Mitski perform live two summers ago at Govball, and her performance was incredible–vocals, choreography, stage presence, she owned it all. I’ve found myself listening to her a lot amidst this “lockdown” era. Her songs “Nobody,” “Washing Machine Heart,” and “Strawberry Blond” are ones you need to listen to right this minute if you never have. 

I hope these recommendations leave you feeling inspired, calm, rejuvenated – and everything in between!

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace
Sameen is currently a Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a junior majoring in Biopsychology and is on a pre-med track. When not studying, she can be found curled up with a good book or trying her hand at a new hobby (e.g. playing the guitar, coding, learning a new language).