This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I know what you’re thinking, what kind of psychopath chooses to wake up so early even when she doesn’t have a busy day? Well…me. Although, I must admit there are times when I just don’t feel like getting up at all.

My mom always said, “The sooner you get up, the sooner you’ll be done.” This concept never really motivated me to get up at all. In fact, I remember a summer when my mom would wake me up at 4 am for work. Let’s just say, “I quit” came out of my mouth every day. Don’t worry, I would eventually run out of the house 5 min later after recalling that I’m a broke college student.

It wasn’t until I read a quote by Kobe Bryant that I felt motivated and inspired to wake up as early as possible. You see, Kobe wasn’t a legend because he was born with basketball skills. He put in the time and practiced as much as possible to be the best. Kobe woke up early in the morning every day even on the days he didn’t feel like getting up. 

If your job is to try to be the best basketball player you can be. To do that you have to practice, you have to train. You wanna train as much as you can as often as you can. So if you get up at 10 in the morning, train at 12. Train for 2 hours, 12-2, you have to let your body recover. You get back out, you train. You start training at 6, train from 6-8 and now you go home, you shower, you eat dinner, you go to bed, you wake up and you do it again.” – Kobe

We should all learn from Kobe Bryant’s work ethic. We should all strive to be the best in whichever area we choose. It doesn’t matter if you want to be the best architect or the best baker. All that matters is that you’re pushing yourself to be the great person you know you are.