This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

A few days ago I saw The 1975 live in concert for the third time in Austin, Texas. Over time, I have noticed that the shows only improve despite different venues, songs, and stage settings. With that being said, here are three reasons I believe The 1975 is one the best artists to see live.

1. Stage Presence

The 1975 as a collective has an amazing stage presence. The band consistently works together to create an unforgettable experience for their audience. Matty Healy, the frontman of the group, is a dramatic storyteller who is known for his witty remarks and emotionality. Healy is able to draw the crowd into the feeling of whichever song they are performing and makes you feel as if you are truly living the lyrics. The other members, Ross MacDonald, Adam Hann, and George Daniel, are more reserved next to Healy but each performs just as dramatically through their instruments.

The current tour, The 1975 At Their Very Best, is one of the more creative show attempts by the band. This show features a stage set of a house and a light pole. The 1975 At Their Very Best tells more of a story through their music and flashy televisions, lamps, and projected lights. The house setting and stage cues make the concert feel less like simply music and more theatrical. At one point, Healy is alone in the “house” and “hallucinates” to the point where he physically enters the television. The band’s creative aspect is seen throughout their shows and it is one of the reasons The 1975 is such an amazing act.

2. Healy’s commentary

Front-man Matty Healy is not shy about his personal opinions. Even off-stage Healy’s Instagram story is home to his most controversial statements. However, during The 1975’s concerts, Healy will be sure to comment on whatever is going on in the world. While some may not agree with what he says, the fact that he brings awareness to certain issues and comments on them makes the show feel more intimate. The 1975 originates from the United Kingdom but visits the United States often which means that they too are aware of what is happening here. The band’s song titled “Love It if We Made It” touches on specific topics regarding politics and social issues that many Americans find themselves relating to. Since its release, the band has made sure to include it in their setlist for every show. While concerts are a form of entertainment for consumers, it is important for entertainers to include what they find truly important and The 1975 makes sure to do just that.

3. The Music

The is something special about The 1975’s music, and even more so in person. The one thing that stands out the most is the ability the band has to play their music live. The 1975 has very few backing tracks and plays complicated melodies right in front of you, proving how talented and unique they truly are. The band’s saxophone player John Waugh also provides an extremely talented piece to the live experience. Waugh adds a critical sound to the band’s songs that increase the depth and meaning of each performance.

While many of us know how truly amazing The 1975 is regarding their sound, seeing them live should be on everyone’s bucket list. Being able to feel connected to the music that we love so much and encounter a truly remarkable production is one of the best experiences one could have. Not only does each show has a unique vibe that sticks with you forever, but from someone who has seen them three times, The 1975 live only gets better.

Charlie is a Psychology major at Texas A&M University. In her free time, she loves to travel, watch tik tok, and read. Charlie's favorite things are iced coffee, boba, and her cat.