A girl holding taiyaki with ice cream
A girl holding taiyaki with ice cream
Photo and Design by Katie Cairo

Why Taiyaki Needs to be your New Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

If you’re a foodie with a massive sweet tooth, this Japanese dessert might just be what you’ve been looking for. Taiyaki, translated directly as “grilled red sea bream”, has been a staple for over a century, recently gaining popularity in the US. As the name suggests, taiyaki is a fish-shaped pastry. Similar to a waffle, batter is poured into a fish-shaped griddle and cooked until fluffy and golden. Then, through a wide opening in the fish’s mouth, filling is spread on the inside. Taiyaki stems from a similar cylinder-shaped snack called imagawayaki that was popular during the Meiji period of the 1800s. The exact details are unknown, but along the way, the fish shape replaced the cylinder and the rest is history. Some speculate that red sea bream were a rare delicacy at the time, while others propose that the fish was a symbol of happiness. Gaining popularity as a street and festival food for decades, taiyaki finally came to the US around 2015, with the first wave of shops opening on the West Coast. Since then, the market has expanded and many shops even serve taiyaki with ice cream. But despite its fascinating history and delicious taste, it’s not on a lot of people’s radar. So why should you give it a try? Here are the top reasons taiyaki needs to be your new obsession:

taiyaki with ice creamVersatilitytaiyaki with ice cream

Taiyaki is almost always customizable, from the filling, to toppings, and even the ice cream served with it. Most shops offer traditional options, such as red bean paste, or modern options, such as custard, matcha, and ube. Shops that add ice cream will sometimes make it as in-house soft-serve, adding a creamier and richer flavor with as many varieties as the taiyaki itself.

taiyaki with ice creamFreshnesstaiyaki with ice cream

Taiyaki is made to order and always comes out hot and fresh. In many shops, customers are able to watch the taiyaki batter cook in the griddle. When it’s finished, the filling and toppings are added right away, creating a rich and warm texture.

taiyaki with ice creamUniquenesstaiyaki with ice cream

Taiyaki shops offer flavors that are constantly changing and hard to find elsewhere in the US. Flavors can pay tribute to the Japanese origins of the dish, such as chestnut and sakura (cherry blossom), and some shops change flavors based on the season.

taiyaki with ice creamperfect for a sugar fixtaiyaki with ice cream

Perfect as a dessert, snack, or even breakfast (these technically count as waffles, right?), there’s never a bad time to grab some taiyaki. It’s the perfect way to satisfy sweet cravings and can be as simple or extravagant as you want. Now go out and get some taiyaki!

Katie is a junior accounting major and second year a staff writer for HerCampus at TAMU. She mainly writes about cultural discourse, local events on campus or in the Bryan-College Station area, and her personal experiences. Beyond HerCampus, Katie served for two years as a peer mentor for the Freshman Business Initiative, helping freshmen through career training activities such as resume workshops and mock interviews. She was also a member of the social committee for Freshman Aggie Ladies Leading where she helped plan social events. This summer, she's excited to start her first internship in audit at a CPA firm in Dallas. After graduating with her Bachelor's in accounting, she hopes to pursue an MBA. In her free time, Katie enjoys listening to pop music, reading, watching movies, and playing Animal Crossing. She is obsessed with smush-faced dogs (especially bulldogs and pugs), the color pink, and collecting Funko Pop dolls. Katie can be spotted at Velvet Taco, Chipotle, or at various thrift shops around College Station.