This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

If you haven’t already, RUN to Netflix right now to watch “Entergalactic.” It is an adult animated music television special with romantic comedy undertones that was recently released at the end of September. What is so appealing about this special is the way it is constructed. While there is a plot present in the movie, there is not a whole lot of action and given there was an album realized with the movie, it feels beautifully crafted long music video.

The main characters are Jabari (Kid Cudi), the main protagonist who is not someone who experiences some profound growth by the end of the movie and his love interest Meadow (Jessica Williams). The other supporting characters really feel more like vibes than people, but I think for this type of animated special it works. Sure, it does not have the same layout as a movie or a TV show, but it is certainly more than an extended music video. It is an experimental form, using plot and characters to present a collage of multisensory art.

The true star of Entergalactic is the animation style! This style is beyond stunning and combines a mix of comic book and street art. This look reflects our protagonist’s worldview as a graffiti muralist turned comic book creator. This is a special that appreciates the perspective of the artist. The piece is full of them: Meadow is a photographer, and one of the major plot points revolves around a group show she is doing.

I loved that the piece was unapologetically Black, within the context of multiracial world. At Jabari’s comic book job, Puerto Rican Len (Auturo Castro) tries to befriend him, and his friend group is a spectrum of human skin tones.

Another good layer to this piece was the subtle comments they made on gender. The point of view in the movie is progressive because it views both the main protagonists as dynamic yet flawed. It felt very realistic for them to be depicted as people who have to compromise and grow to find happiness because they are human. Jabari also tells his friend Ky (Ty Dolla Sign) to “Stop saying bitches,” when talking about women. It was a good media example of healthy masculinity without women watching. When Jabari is experiencing issues with Meadow, he calls upon his sister, Ellie (Maisha Mescudi), for advice on love. Her advice to him was very direct, and she was able to provide him with knowledge about women, him, and the way the world works. 

It was lovely to tune into something that showed love bloom and take a different perspective in showing artists. This special is a must see whether you are with someone special or alone; it is an experience that can conceptualize love and humanity at the same time.

A Texas A&M Alumni with a Bachelor of Arts in English,