you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Being an Art Minor is Super Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

What’s up Her Campus readers. It’s me, ya girl, Nadia. If you looked at my bio, or had at least one conversation with me, you’d know a few things. One, that I love The Neighbourhood. Two, that I went to Africa once. Three, that I recently became an Art minor. I’ve already talked about both The Neighbourhood and Africa on here, so now, I’m going to talk about my art minor and give you ten reasons why it’s super cool.

1. You get to wear weird outfits and no one will judge you.

1. You get assigned to play with cool programs like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects. For class. For a grade. You’re being assigned to have fun.

1. You get to be as creative as you want.

• “Langford is the only place on campus where you can draw boobs in the middle of class and not be judged.” – random girl in my class

1. You’ll meet a lot of other creative people and y’all can bounce off of each other’s ideas.

1. Instagram game levels up by 100%.

• If you saw my Instagram a year ago vs. my Instagram now, I got so much cooler. Purely because I declared an art minor.

1. You get to meet people at Yee Yee University (Texas A&M) that you didn’t think existed. AKA, Langford is the only place where the “indies” at this school thrive.

1. You’re suddenly the go-to person for creating things in your orgs and friend groups.

1. The feeling you get after hours spent creating something is amazing.

• I’ve never created something that I was so proud of until now.

1. You become more competitive in the job market.

• I’m a Marketing major who wants to go into advertising and PR so having the knowledge of how to use Adobe products is a great skill to put on my resume.

1. You’ll take classes that you actually enjoy going to. No offense to my major, but Intro to Accounting sucks.

Overall, I’ve been in my minor for about a month and I firmly believe that it’s one of the best decisions I have ever made. If you’re considering declaring a minor in anything you have a passion in, go for it. It’ll be fun and be beneficial in the long run!

Howdy! My name is Nadia Lynn Garcia. I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Texas A&M University! I love music, concerts, travel, and graphic design, but my articles can tell you a little more about that. ;)