This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The lore around the aggie cheer was told to me during orientation. The Yell Leaders of Texas A&M, five corps cadets members that are the main representation of the organization and have been since their first appearance in 1907, regaled a filled Rudder Auditorium, about 2,500 people, with the tale.  And it has come to my notice that not every aggie at this university knows of the tale.  So, I have taken it on as my sworn duty as an aggie to educate you all.

.

Back in Old Army, there was a mountain lion prowling through the campus, striking fear into aggie’s hearts.

A ‘courageous’ freshman got it into their minds to scare the mountain lion off. With a rifle in hand, they approached the mountain lion, only to freak when the mountain lion turned its attention to them.  Turning tail and running, they threw their hands into the air, screaming “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” all the while.

Now, a sophomore – laughing at the freshman’s failure – decided to take care of the problem themselves.  With their two pistols in hand, they approached the mountain lion.  Bravely, they let off five shots.  Five shots that all embedded themselves in dirt and not the mountain lion.

A junior, humored by both attempts, knew it was their turn now.  Confident in their abilities, they aimed a single pistol – with swagger of course – at the mountain lion.  Firing off four shots, they released a “Whoop!” as the last shot hit true.  But their victory was short lived as they had not hit true enough.

With a bullet-grazed mountain lion stalking its new prey, a senior stepped up to the plate.  Without preamble or any extra bull, they aimed their pistol and shot once.  Because once was all they needed.  They released a satisfied “Whoop!” because the prowling mountain lion was no more.  Hats off to the senior, who truly was the best of them all.

.

And from this story, the wildcat cheers came to be.  Below are the specifics on how to say your cheer:

*It is important to note that only upperclassmen can say “Whoop!”  So, underclassmen must strike the word whoop from their dictionary until they have earned the right to say that glorious word.  

For Freshmen:

Shoot those hands into the air, as high as possible, and yell at the top of your lungs “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.”  

For Sophomores:

Create two pistols with your hands – thumb up, pointer and middle finger out, and ring and pinky curled.  Point the pistols to the floor and shout “Aa-aa-aa-aa-aa” with pride.

For Juniors:

Bring your hands together to create a single pistol – pointer and thumb out while the rest are curled.  Point your pistol towards your left foot and say “Aa-aa-aa-Whoop!” with vigor.

For Seniors:

With the same pistol as the Junior, point towards the ground then the sky, and proudly shout “Aa-Whoop!”  As you “Whoop!”, lift your left foot behind your right.

.

So, next time you hear your year, don’t be a two percenter.  Instead, say those cheers with aggie pride.  

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!