This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Amidst the many other travesties that have taken place over the past couple years, we are the witness of a war in Ukraine following decades of a serious conflict between Ukraine and Russia. As there should be, many protests have broken out about Russia’s recent invasion, including from its own citizens. The case should always be that no matter who you are, where you are from, or what your culture is, no innocent civilian deserves to be the victim of war in their homeland, but the media has not brought that message.

This past week, I have seen news clips that have shaken my core. I have seen a few too many news clips that have essentially described this war as unbelievable due to Ukraine being civilized or not being a third world country. For example, a CBS News clip shows a reporter saying that Ukraine is “relatively civilized,” while the reporter said he was trying to watch his words, it gives the message that war is justifiable in countries that are culturally different and possibly third world. War anywhere, such as the Iraq war, is just as vile and wrong as the conflict in the Ukraine. I think this narrative excuses the wrongdoings of other conflicts such as the Iraq war. 

Despite the many faults of this world, I truly believe peace is what we can create if we work together. It’s a great tragedy that peace isn’t something that can just fall in our lap. In the meantime, we must speak up and seek to help out the vulnerable if you can.

If you can, here are resources you can donate to:

International Rescue Committee– the International Rescue Committee “helps people affected by humanitarian crises recover and rebuild their lives.

Sunflower of Peace– Sunflower of Peace is providing medical and humanitarian aid for Ukrainians. I also recommend following their instagram @sunflowerofpeace.

International Medical Corps– International Medical Corps is providing healthcare services for the vulnerable and the displaced.

CARE– CARE is providing food, water, hygiene kits, and more support for Ukranians

Hello!! My name is Kendra!! I am a Senior at Texas A&M University majoring in University Studies in Society, Ethics, and Law with a minor in Environmental Geoscience. My favorite things to do are waste time in book and antique shops and read cuddled up next to my two golden retrievers.