Tunes of TikTok: How the App has Shaped Gen Z’s Music Taste

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.
Now more than ever TikTok has become the app that aspiring artistS go to for their chance at fame. No matter the craft, the algorithm will get you to the right side of TikTok. In terms of music TikTok has be able to boost artistS far in short periods of time. The app’s blueprint takes creators to the next level, because literally anyone can go viral, it’s all in the hands of the users. Below I share ways TikTok has shaped the world of music all in one app.

Algorithm appreciation

There is a level playing field that is fostered by TikTok. The platform pushes out new content including a a diverse range of music to users in order to break the traditional genre and allow Gen Z to explore a wide range of sounds.

Dance Challenges

We all know that TikTok has its never ending eras of dance challenges and with that, music serves to boost these challenges along with gain popularity through the trends.

dance scene in Barbie movie
Warner Bros

independent artist turned stars

Smaller, lesser-known artists now have opportunities to share their music to millions. Gen Z is a driving force for user generated content that boosts the support and promotion of these independent artist, all playing a part to create a more diverse and inclusive environment of the music industry.

Global view

Gen Z users from all over the world have access to the app and are able to boost songs of all genres. The sharing of music across the globe is a vessel for interconnecting an assortment of cultures and their unique sounds.

Some familiar artist that you may have heard of that have had some big success on TikTok include but are not limited to:

Doja cat and “Say So” was propelled by the viral dance challenges and ranked it at the top of the charts.

Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road” was pivotal when it came out as it had great success in on the music charts swell as its own pop culture moment.

Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Start Now” where users on TikTok ate it up with dance trends and challenges that ultimately resulted in its presence on the charts.

TikTok serves as a catalyst in reshaping the musical landscape of music for Gen Z. The influence it has transcends beyond just trends, but provides a vibrant ever-growing community to express cultural identity, exploration, and create connections between artists and their fans. Gen Z continues to be trailblazers for digital culture and is ever-changing the world of media around us.

Theresa Terrones is a current member of the PR committee at the HerCampus chapter at the University of Texas A&M. She is responsible for submitting designs for merchandise, and submitting press releases. She enjoys writing about pop culture, fashions and up and coming trends. Beyond HerCampus, Theresa works as a volleyball referee for intramural sports at TAMU. This position allows her to combine the love for the sport and also have a paying position at the same time. She is currently a sophomore Communications Major at Texas A&M and hopes to be able to work in PR for a beauty brand or the entertainment industry (specifically music). Theresa loves to meet new people. In her free time you can find Theresa hanging out with her friends, playing volleyball, visiting family, discovering new music, online shopping, listening to her favorite podcast or traveling for the weekend. She also loves to go grocery shipping and try new recipes along with thrift and buy vintage. Lake Bryan is her favorite spot to unwind with friends and read a book, but she also loves a relaxing tan in the afternoon. She likes to stay busy but also have an active lifestyle, her current favorite activity is yoga and she dabbles in weightlifting. https://www.linkedin.com/in/theresa-terrones-066580274/