This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

From the start of college spirit days in middle school to high school graduation, it was common knowledge that it takes 4 years to earn an undergraduate degree. This statement was reiterated, and I assumed this was the right way to do it- that the number 4 was a magical number of years to complete such a challenging journey. Anything more would be strange and anything less would be unnecessary. 4 years is seen as the perfect amount of time to make your college memories.

I spent my freshman year at a different university and transferred to Texas A&M at the beginning of my sophomore year. The transition was hard. Coming from someone who has moved between 8 schools in total, I was used to being the new student again and again. However, this time it was different. It was 2020, and a pandemic was in full force. Fortunately, Texas A&M has wonderful transfer student programs, but they had all been converted to virtual for health reasons. This meant I only really knew one person: my roommate and best friend Christina. I missed my family and friends, and I was extremely homesick. To make matters worse, I realized that I was unhappy in my major. Being a transfer student had already put me at a disadvantage. It felt as if I had a year stripped away from my college experience that I could not get back. My classmates had already made their connections and friendships their freshman year while I was stuck playing catch up again. I was elated to finally study in my dream school, but I still felt lonely.

There is one emotion that I consistently feel today: gratitude. I am immensely grateful for my family’s support in my decision to change majors. Ultimately, it was the best decision for me, and I have never been happier. This also meant it would take me a little longer to graduate than anticipated.

Transfer students: there is no right or wrong way. Everyone is on their own unique journey. We all have our own obstacles to face. It does not matter how long you take or how many years you spend in school, what matters is that you finish. Did you know that almost 60% of students in college take longer than 4 years to graduate? In my own experience, it was unfortunate that I transferred during such a difficult year; it made my transition even more isolating.

How did I manage this feeling of loneliness? I applied to organizations that I would genuinely enjoy. I went outside more. I started studying in local coffee shops instead of the isolation of my bedroom. I tried easy cooking recipes online to give me a sense of accomplishment. I planned events in the future to give me something to look forward to. Do things that make you happy and give you joy. Getting past the transition phase is the hardest part, but when you reach the top of the hill, it’s all worth it.

Howdy! I am a Senior Communication major currently minoring in Business. I am passionate about art, design, and I'd love to work in creative media. Gig em!