Top 3 Tips for a Successful Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With fall leaves and autumn chill finally coming around, it almost seems like a time where we can finally relax and breathe a little easier. Wrong! Most of you reading this most likely are stressed out and are in the process of applying for internships or jobs! Although the pre-interview jitters are hard to get rid of, I’ve compiled a list of tips that helped me while I’ve been going through the intense process of applying for internships!

My first tip is to come prepared! Knowing about the company and the interviewers will make you feel more at ease. And it will also leave them impressed. I personally always start a document to collect information on the company and interviewers. I include things like their mission statement, values, purpose, etc. Also, I read recent news about the company, so that it shows you did more research than just browsing their website!

Second, when interviewers ask you tough behavioral questions to see how you have handled situations in the past to see if you’d be a good fit for their company, make sure to use the STAR method! These questions usually begin with, “Tell me about a time when….” or “Give us an example…..” so they are easy to spot! The STAR Method stands for Situation, Task, Action, and Result. When asked the question, start off with S by giving the background and necessary details to your example. Once this is complete, head off into the T step by describing what you were responsible for in this situation, AKA what was the task at hand. Afterward, use A to talk about the action you took to resolve your problem and finally close out with R by sharing the results of your actions. These steps compiled together correctly have continuously led to amazing interviews that have either gotten me offers or callbacks for further rounds of interviewing!

The last tip that I’ll share is to practice. I know you might be reading this wondering, “How can I practice for an interview?”. I like to make a list of frequently asked questions in interviews and practice responding to them. Questions such as “Tell me about yourself” and “What is your biggest strength and weakness?” can seem extremely frightening when they are thrust upon you with no preparation. However, if you practice them, it’ll be easy as pie giving back an answer you already have down! This way, no matter how nervous you get, you already have an answer on lock. And giving the interviewers your answer will practically be muscle memory!

As you continue to interview with multiple companies throughout the next few weeks, keep these tips in mind! Wishing you all the best of luck!

Howdy! I'm Anyssa Perez, a senior marketing major from Houston, Texas! I love writing in my free time and am so excited to get to write as a part of HerCampus!