This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I need to get this off my chest: I am incredibly over TikTok right now. 

My entire For You Page feels like one big ad. I’m just scrolling through an endless stream of recommendations, of a 10-step skincare routine-guaranteed to get rid of my acne, of the 10th new mascara that’ll look like lash extensions, more must-have closet staples, the new trendy water bottle, the ultimate “that girl” manicure, or hair products that’ll give me the hottest at-home salon blowout. 

And it’s gotten exponentially worse with TikTok rolling out TikTok shop, in direct competition with Amazon storefront, leaving me in the process with an FYP bombarded with the TikTok shop content, specifically THE SUMMER FRIDAY LIP BALM ADS. I cannot be the only one who can’t escape that product! The sheer amount of ads I see for products is more than the amount of TikToks I watch daily. 

Every other video I watch is either a sponsorship or talking about some new product I need to buy. And the worst part is, this materialistic overconsumption is disguised – not so subtly – under some of my favorite types of videos: Clothing/Makeup hauls, Product Empties, Get Ready-With-Me’s, Affordable Dupes, What’s-in-my-bag, Restocking videos, First Impressions, etc. These videos are what have made a materialistic and maximalist culture thrive on TikTok.

It’s just so frustrating because TikTok wasn’t always so saturated with ads and products. Not to mention it’s straight-up annoying to keep seeing videos of the same products or things, especially when you aren’t buying the stuff being promoted. And ultimately it’s my fault. TikTok is just an app with an amazing algorithm, and I am the one telling it what videos I like and dislike. But it’s also bigger than that. 

Think about it like this: influencers on TikTok have a certain lifestyle that is shared through their videos. And while it’s the creators making this content, villainizing them gets us nowhere. This is their source of income and by “investing” in large hauls and new products, they’re “working”. By using viral products or making the aforementioned video types they are able to gain popularity both among audiences and brands, which can lead them to partner with brands and make sponsored content.

The disconnect comes from the fact that the audience (aka me) doesn’t understand that they don’t need all this stuff. It can lead to either overspending for that instant gratification or if I don’t, feelings of insecurity or inadequacy. It’s almost distorting the perception of reality when I see this certain aesthetic and maximalist lifestyle cultivated by all these different creators/influencers, which doesn’t match up to our own daily lives. 

But it’s important to remember that our lives are not supposed to look like that. I don’t need every new shiny product or item of clothing and more is not better. I’m beginning to realize that some may see that lifestyle as something to aspire to, but the reality is, that success and happiness don’t come from the amount of things you and it isn’t necessary to live the same way as people you see online. It’s important to remember that you are seeing maybe a couple hundred people out of the 7.8 billion people on this planet, so they aren’t inaccurate representations of the majority of the population, who in no way lead that kind of life. 

– Insert the “You are a normal, regular civilian. Act like it.” sound –

I hope this article(rant) resonated with other TikTok addicts like me, who just want the fun, relatable side of TikTok to come back without being turned into another method for us to be targeted by capitalistic consumerism. 

Oh and don’t forget, anything I mentioned can be found on my Amazon storefront and affiliate links ;)

Aditi Jakkani is a second-year member of the HER Campus at TAMU chapter. As part of the Events Committee in the chapter, she helps in organizing social events for chapter members. Through these events, the chapter gets the chance to socialize and bond in a more informal environment. Her writing covers personal experiences and recommendations for college students, with a particular focus on Texas A&M students. Apart member for her time spent with HER Campus at TAMU, Aditi is currently a Sophomore General Engineering major at Texas A&M. She works in food service, as a barista at an on-campus Starbucks. Aditi hopes to work within a Technological setting, with a focus on Data Analytics or Cybersecurity, in the future. She treats her articles written for HER Campus as her creative outlet in the midst of her STEM surroundings and considers the discipline and skill derived from writing, valuable in being a well-rounded individual. She has conducted a 7-month long research project, a qualitative correlational analysis study, as the main focus of a high school course. This resulted in a research report discussing the access to environmentally ethical clothing for female adolescents and identified ethical fashion consumption barriers in suburban areas for them. In her free time, Aditi enjoys reading psychological thriller novels and listening to Podcasts. Her workout style of choice is any cardio or reformer Pilates. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, especially while trying new coffee shops or restaurants. Her perfect day would end snuggled up with her dog, Abby, and hopefully will add a kitten to her life soon!